Windows sizing help

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tractng

Reaction score
I will need to put 2 windows between the fireplace for title 24 requirement in California.

Reason: we are building a family room that connects to the living room so the current sliding door to the patio is no longer considered vent/light.

Back in the days when the house was built, the fireplace wasn't center. On the left side from the corner to the mantle is 48.5". On the right side, is 39" from corner to mantle.

I am thinking of putting double hung windows (the ones you push up to open windows). On the 48.5" wall, the window I am considering is 36" width x 48" height. On the 39" wall, the window I am thinking should be 30" width x 48" height.

Ceiling is 8 ft high.

Does the windows sizing look ok for this situation (going with different width size)? I am more concern of the look since the walls are not proportion vs the ability to frame it. I have been told that 30" is the max window width I should go on the 39" wall.

Thanks,
TT

fireplace.jpg

Last edited:
No way would I be installing two different sized windows!
Oh the joys of living in the republic of CA.

What about adding a couple venting skylights? Is that an option?

It needs 4% vent & 8% light. I am sure it can be done but the cost will be high. Prefer a natural window to be opened with human hands :).

I'm not understanding how Title 24 applies to your predicament? All I've read about the new Title 24 deals with energy savings, more insulation, better windows. Could you help point me in the right direction?

I'm not understanding how Title 24 applies to your predicament? All I've read about the new Title 24 deals with energy savings, more insulation, better windows. Could you help point me in the right direction?

I will need to find the article for you. Since the new addition connects to the my living room and the entry is less than 50% of the common wall, I will need windows in my living room.

Also for living purposes we need more light in the living room. Currently with the aluminum patio covering the 6ft patio door with no windows, its already dark (facing east). Just imagine when we build an addition there.

While we are this topic can somebody recommend me the windows placement for my new addition :). I just don't like the recommendation layout by the contractor (see attached). I am thinking of not putting any window on the east side (might put a projector screen there, projector screen can roll down so its a non issue). On the north side, extend window to 5 ft wide. On east side have 2 windows (3 ft wide double hung window, the one you push/pull down). My concern is losing heat/cool.... I am in Southern California

Some background:

North side: pool and mountain view
South side: 10 ft away there is a 6ft block wall that separates neighbor
East side: back yard: nothing to view except for trees and stairs up to a higher concrete area
West side: living room

inside.jpg

outside.jpg

living.JPG

north.jpg

south.jpg

Last edited:
As the fire place is on a gable end and header is not much of an issue I would go as narrow as I could and make the taller. Even if the fireplace isn't centered it is still the centerpiece so matching windows centered on the fireplace.

As the fire place is on a gable end and header is not much of an issue I would go as narrow as I could and make the taller. Even if the fireplace isn't centered it is still the centerpiece so matching windows centered on the fireplace.

So you saying to go with same width for both windows? Just making sure. Its been all night thinking about the entire layout.

Last edited:
The other option might be one glass filled door, if there is anything that looks like a need.

Latest posts

Back