Estimate on Few things House need

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vcingh

Reaction score
Hi all

We are buying a house in UK (High Wycombe). The house need fair amount of repair and I am here to ask for your help on cost and estimate on some of the things house need. I would welcome suggestions and advise on anything you have experienced or that you are an expert on.
Firstly the house needs a new kitchen. There is a wall that divides the sitting room and kitchen. We are planning to shift the wall so that the sitting room has more square shape than the one it got right now.
Secondly the bath room is falling apart so we need to remodel the bath room. I am thinking of saving some money and not have the bath tub, maybe just the standing shower.
Thirdly we need to build a door through the wall from kitchen leading to the back garden. At the moment you have to go around the side door to get to the garden.
Also the boiler tank is in one of the rooms upstairs. I would like to bring it to the Ground floor but looks like an expensive task.
Lastly build an extension in the garden
I would like your advise on how we should go about thing I mentioned above? What sort of expense we looking at? Should we give this job to one contractor or divided it among few contractors?
Summary
1 New Kitchen and move the wall that separate the kitchen and sitting room to give better shape to Kitchen and sitting room (Wall looks moveable)
2 Remodelling the bathroom/toilet.
3 Building a door through the kitchen wall leading to garden
4 Moving the boiler tank from room upstairs to the ground floor.
5 Building an extension in the garden.

Thanks

:welcome: to House Repair Talk!

Contact local, licensed, general contractors who can run the job under one umbrella. And get quotes from at least 3, don't choose based on price but choose the one most qualified to complete the renovations.

Just my :2cents:

This is mainly a US and Canadian site so cost estimates from our side of the pond would be pretty useless.

Having lived in the UK 35 years ago and visited it in the past 5 I'd say the cost will be in pounds what it would be in dollars. Unfortunately for you the pound is worth more than a dollar at the money changers but it didn't buy more than a dollar.

Have three contracors come and give you quotes, ask a lot of questions of the people that come, you will learn a lot. You will want to check with the city on what has to be done about permits and ask them when an engineer must be envolved. Then you will have more help here, we can help you understand what is being talked about.
When the contractors come with pretty picture of the work they have done, go and talk to the people that that work was done for and look at the work yourself.

If when you are talking with the contractors if you don't click with one, you should run don't walk away from him. You're going to be working closely together for the duration of the project if you don't like the guy it will be a very long project.

Definitely talk to his clients, ask friends for recommendations if they've had work done. If there is a UK equivalent of Angie's list check out the reviews of contractors there. We have a service here called nextdoor where people in the neighborhoods in my general area can ask questions of neighbors. That has been a fairly reliable way to ask for recommendations.

Latest posts

Back