stucco finish

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pcnerd

Reaction score
Hello,

Curious what I should be looking to pay for the finish coat of stucco colored match my current house. This is for a new room addition.

The first two coats have been already done and I might be using a different person to do the finish coat.

all wall are 8 feet high

-16 ft long
-20 ft long
-20 ft long

two small windows surrounding in non addition room
power panel surrounding

Last edited:
This is where it pays to shop around locally. I had a similar amount of stucco needed (the entire job from tar paper to finish coat) and the prices varied from:

$46,000
$36,000
$10,000
$5,600
$4,500
$4,000 (but barely spoke English and was not licensed)

I chose the $5,600 guy because he was referred to me by both my son and another good friend, who had done work at both houses.

This is where it pays to shop around locally. I had a similar amount of stucco needed (the entire job from tar paper to finish coat) and the prices varied from:

$46,000
$36,000
$10,000
$5,600
$4,500
$4,000 (but barely spoke English and was not licensed)

I chose the $5,600 guy because he was referred to me by both my son and another good friend, who had done work at both houses.

Thanks so much. The first 3 prices are crazy. I probably need licensed and valid receipt for legal issue down the road (to reclaim back what my original contractor didn't finish).

Last edited:
The two high bids were pulled from those local designer magazines which you receive when you move into a new home. I guess they are passing the advertising costs to the consumer. I laughed and asked him how much gold and diamonds he includes in his stucco mix.

For the final coat, how long does it take for them to put on compare to the two other coats? I was there onsite for most of 1st & 2nd coats.

The 2nd coat took a while.

Also, I was shown a brochure on the color and it looks like mine existing color is blue/grey. Do most homes with stucco use standard color or they can be customized. Just trying to figure if my color was a standard color.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
The second coat (brown coat) must be allowed to harden for 4-7 days before the other coats. All other coats can be done on a daily basis. There is no "real" color until you add the color packet. Most places have 15-20 different colors readily available and any other color in the rainbow can be mixed up, but is not recommended since every batch will be a bit different from the others.

For the final coat, how long does it take for them to put on compare to the two other coats? I was there onsite for most of 1st & 2nd coats.

The 2nd coat took a while.

Also, I was shown a brochure on the color and it looks like mine existing color is blue/grey. Do most homes with stucco use standard color or they can be customized. Just trying to figure if my color was a standard color.

Thanks a lot.

The color coat application should take less than 1 day, unless there is a texture other than a sand finish.

Also most stucco material suppliers will have, as stock, colors matching their standard color charts, in the form of brush coat, which can be mixed and applied over the unpainted wall areas adjacent to the tie-in, for a color match.

If there is a texture other than a sand finish, I make it a practice to wait a day or two between the sand finish and the texture application because the texture stands out more.

For the area around the power panel and window of the non addition room, do I still have them color match on the final coat? Eventually, I want to paint the entire wall myself. This is just standard sand texture stucco.

I get pics tonight for a better description.

For the area around the power panel and window of the non addition room, do I still have them color match on the final coat? Eventually, I want to paint the entire wall myself. This is just standard sand texture stucco.

I get pics tonight for a better description.

It will make little difference because if you have painted the house, then without sandblasting, any color coat that laps onto the painted surface will shortly just peel off.

If you have never painted the stucco you can use the product "brush coat" to change the color, at 25% too 30% of the cost of paint.

Brush coat is a lime based product, as is stucco, which is available in a variety of colors and can be also custom formulated, and can be applied to unpainted stucco.

I painted a portion of the new stucco just to the edge of the house where the new stucco continued without being painted. There is a slight color variation however being on the corner of the house, it is barely noticeable.

A portion of one wall was re-stucco'ed so I painted that entire side of the house. At the corner going the other direction, I left the color coat stucco stand alone and with the transition being on the corner, the color change is barely noticeable.

20150711_145850_resized.jpg

20150731_093537_resized.jpg

20150918_084928_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Below are the pics. First two pics, they share the same wall. The other side of the house with the new window put in, plan to do same thing. Will look into the recommended brush thing. In my old house, which was painted after sand blasted. I was tired of the fading yellow color and sprayed a dark brown (no sand blast) which lasted 7 years and remained in good condition when I sold it.

Last edited:
Below are the pics. First two pics, they share the same wall. The other side of the house with the new window put in, plan to do same thing. Will look into the recommended brush thing. In my old house, which was painted after sand blasted. I was tired of the fading yellow color and sprayed a dark brown (no sand blast) which lasted 7 years and remained in good condition when I sold it.

What the pics. show is typical of the method employed, when there is a clear understanding that someone else will be responsible for the application and the consistency of the finish.

All finish products fade over time and the darker the color will be more dramatic, however, mixing finishes will dramatize their inconsistency, product to product.

DO NOT attempt to apply brush coat to a painted surface.

Ok guys. The finish coat has been done. It has been over 2 days now (75 degrees) and its still in the curing process. The wall is becoming lighter some areas. Originally I thought it was a crack line and poured some water using a cup but later found it wasn't a crack.

Do I need to just leave alone or do I need to wet the walls to prevent cracks?

Ok guys. The finish coat has been done. It has been over 2 days now (75 degrees) and its still in the curing process. The wall is becoming lighter some areas. Originally I thought it was a crack line and poured some water using a cup but later found it wasn't a crack.

Do I need to just leave alone or do I need to wet the walls to prevent cracks?

You should have been told this; there is a seventeen day long process, scratch coat too color coat (unless HY-EARLY cement is used), and after the brown coat
is applied the surface is misted twice a day for two days, to slow the drying process.

Allow the color coat to dry unmolested as misting will increase fading.

If cracking occurs during the color coat drying process, call them back, it was mixed too wet.

Last edited:
I had one wall where there was a huge variation in the color. The installer expected this and said it was normal for some walls to cure at a different rate. He bought a bag of stucco color and with a good mix, he fogged it (a slight colored mist) onto the stucco using a Thompson's sprayer and now the color is perfectly matched.

I had one wall where there was a huge variation in the color. The installer expected this and said it was normal for some walls to cure at a different rate. He bought a bag of stucco color and with a good mix, he fogged it (a slight colored mist) onto the stucco using a Thompson's sprayer and now the color is perfectly matched.

That's one way to apply what I was referring to as "brush coat" and it can be scrubbed in with a dash brush.

I really have lost faith in most contractors. The room addition, my contractor sub out the stucco job. The stucco guys have 25+ years of experience. It has been over 2 weeks and the thing doesn't cure consistently.

At this point, I am just going to leave it alone. Not worth my time to argue anymore. I will paint the rest of the house the same stucco color.

If I perform my tasks like these past contractors in the computer field, I would be out of a job a long time.

Last edited:
I really have lost faith in most contractors. The room addition, my contractor sub out the stucco job. The stucco guys have 25+ years of experience. It has been over 2 weeks and the thing doesn't cure consistently.

At this point, I am just going to leave it alone. Not worth my time to argue anymore. I will paint the rest of the house the same stucco color.

If I perform my tasks like these past contractors in the computer field, I would be out of a job a long time.

Interesting.

That needs to be fogged to get a consistent color. Many good companies will automatically do this last step because of the different variations you are experiencing. That entire job can be fogged in about 1/2 hour.

Back