DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Tools > favorite / least favorite brand of tools

Old 12-10-2014, 12:08 AM  
slownsteady
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 250 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 339

We should have started a poll with this forum. vote for your favorite brands

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2014, 03:32 AM  
zannej

Liked 45 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 670

Quote:
Originally Posted by slownsteady View Post
Problem with those kits is when one thing goes, a lot of the other parts are useless. I tried that with Craftsman drills. But a year later, i couldn't find a battery to fit it, and the drill was almost the same price as the battery alone.
Good point. I actually have an extra battery just in case. It came with one that I got earlier. But I inherited my father's inclination to collect more tools. He would even buy duplicates of ones he already had just in case we needed an extra (and also because he couldn't find things).

Old 01-18-2015, 05:27 PM  
edh

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Tools

My wife is out of the kitchen for a bit so I can mention the word tools, but just in writing, not out loud.
I have just about 3 of every tool made for woodworking. I cannot afford Festools. I do have some old B and D tools which still work very well. Favorite router is an old Makita Redline. I also have a couple of Craftsman Routers that I only use with my dovetail machine. I also have a Bosch router that's nice to work with. I have a monster 3hp Freud router as well.
I used to work part time with my cousin framing homes here in Calgary so I have an old Emglo 2hp compressor to tote around along with me on odd jobs. I have looked after it so it looks like new. It's almost 25 yrs old.

My pride and joy is my 10 inch tablesaw. It's a 3hp Rockwell Unisaw. Turn it on without a blade in it and all you hear is a low hum. With a blade in it, you hear the whistle made by the blades teeth. Totally accurate cuts. It has a Biesemeyer fence and I like my Incra Miter guide. I have an Elu miter saw and a Makita 10 inch slider.

I am of the opinion that a lot of the more recent power tools are built to be used for a month or two and then thrown away. I have a lot of battery powered tools but like some others here I have been caught reaching for corded tools more and more.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:23 AM  
zannej

Liked 45 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 670

When I'm working on something in the workshop and can attach a cord to one of the hanging plugs (My father rigged the place to have plugs available hanging down with extension cords-- I'll have to get pics) I prefer to use the corded tools.

Unfortunately, a lot of the stuff I work on is not in range of an outlet or extension cord so I use the battery powered ones in a pinch. I've been pretty happy with the B&D Matrix thus far.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:36 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 119 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Imo black & decker is for light weight use, good for the wife to use. Craftsman rachets are junk. If you only want to purchase an angle grinder one time consider metabo.

Quick Reply