It's hard to open outgoing doors

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wuzzat?

Reaction score
in the local coffee shop, and when I do there is an inrush of air.

Is there any advantage to having their HVAC system put a slight vacuum in the building?

One downside would be that it pulls in pollen, I'd think.

Last edited:
In our large industrial process buildings we have so many fans sucking air out without makeup air systems you wouldn’t be able to open the doors. There is no advantage to drawing a partial vacuum on a building the reason for the fans is to remove bad air. All that does is make them work harder and draw more power. The down side to makeup air is if you are cooling or heating it along with the bad air you are removing the conditioning. In the summer we have more than enough windows open to make up the air but in the winter we need to provide the warmest air coming back in we can find.

That gives me an idea. If I leave the door open for a few seconds, then close it, it should be easy to open. Never tried it.

I'm sure all you have to do is start a conversation with some and someone will open the door for you.:banana::banana:

Nah, I'll open the door just as a little kid walks by outside and see if he gets sucked into the opening. That should get us both on The Evening News. :banana:

Back