Delay in priming exterior surfaces

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atwt

Reaction score
Exterior latex primer was applied to some trim a month ago but we haven't had time to apply the paint. It doesn't look like the weather is going to warm up enough in the near future to paint them. What will happen to the primer if we have to wait until spring to apply the paint? Since primer isn't formulated for wear, what type of issues could result as this primer is exposed to rain and cold winter conditions?

Last edited:
Well... The good news is that you don't have a bare, completely uncovered surface. The bad news is that you might need to re-prime the trim before top-coating it next summer.

I'm not a professional painter, but I don't think this is going to be a huge problem.

Depending on what the winter will be like in Nashville a good quality primer should last for at least 3 to 4 months without showing signs of degradation, however you would have been miles ahead had you primed using a good quality oil base primer. The last time I used latex primer on new wood cost me a bundle, I ended up scraping and repainting it all again because the latex primer failed. There’s nothing you can do about it now except wait till spring.

Steve

Hand Painted by Steve

Back