Master bathroom replacement window

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danmiller3

Reaction score
Hi folks -
We live in a 12 year old house. It has all wood, double hung windows. The window in our master bathroom has rotted and become mold infested due to a broken exterior seal. The manufacturer has apparently gone out of business (Louisiana something or other).

We've had Stanek and Home Depot out for estimates so far and have Champion coming out tomorrow. Home Depot recommended Simongton windows and Stanek has their own brand. Both were vinyl replacements that qualified for the energy tax rebate. Both recommended doing at least three windows to get better cost savings as there is a surcharge for one.

We are also looking at having a contractor come out and just do it since they are more willing to do one window.

We know nothing about windows. Looking for some advice on the right window (wood or vinyl) and what people think in general we should do.

Thanks,
--Dan

Personally, I would say wood to match the rest of the house. I have installed Pella and Anderson and like both. There is plenty to chose from. One consideration - if the window is next to a tub (like my house) it needs to be safety glass. I would go the handyman route or general contractor and not home depot. Forget the surcharge, take your business elsewhere. There are plenty of hungry contractors out there.

Personally, I would say wood to match the rest of the house. I have installed Pella and Anderson and like both. There is plenty to chose from. One consideration - if the window is next to a tub (like my house) it needs to be safety glass. I would go the handyman route or general contractor and not home depot. Forget the surcharge, take your business elsewhere. There are plenty of hungry contractors out there.

I second that...take your biz anywhere but Home Depot or Lowes.

Back