new pipe leakage

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papaskew

Reaction score
i just replaced a new bathroom sink trap and the pipe that comes off the trap to the wall. the pipe going into the wall is supposed to just slide in? i now have a leak coming from the connection and need to know how to aleviate the problem.

I'm not a plumber, but I've never seen a pipe connection where one pipe just slid into another. In the sinks I've had, one of the ends may be designed to fit into the flared end of another pipe, but the flared end will usually have a fitting that is tightened onto the threads of the other pipe - plus there's usually a gasket involved and some teflon tape wouldn't hurt.

Did the original pipe just slide out? Was it leaking before you made the replacement?

My apologies. As a matter of curiosity I checked the pipes here at the hotel and the sink drain does appear to attach to pipe extending from the wall without any fittings. Guess I've been dealing with PVC for too long. Seems like an extremely tight fit that wouldn't accommodate a gasket, but I would think that some type of sealer was applied. I'm sure a plumber will respond before tomorrow night, but I'll have to ask when I make my weekly pilgrimage to the hardware store for my own peace of mind.

Welcome to the Fourm, PapaSkew:
You are correct, the pipe does usually slide into the drain pipe. However, it is also supposed to have a compression nut on the outside which compresses a gasket against the trap and drain to prevent leaks. OR, in the case of plastic pipe, it would be glued in.
The drain pipe sticking out of the wall (if its not plastic) should be threaded, then the trap piece gets the nut and gasket slipped on the end, slip the trap piece into the drain pipe and pull the nut up to the threads and tighten. The piece of the drain pipe is called the "trap adapter" and is much heavier gauge pipe than the tubular trap.
Glenn

Latest posts

Back