clean out plug?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shovelshort

Reaction score
I'm back!

Ok, here is what I need to do. I have two 5" black plastic pipes coming up level with my concrete basement floor. I had carpet layed recently and I want to cap these with something that looks better than a plastic cap. I found some bronze metal caps that screw into a 4" pipe and have a built in clean out plug (Jones Stephens Corp. part # D59-945). I assume I need to reduce this inside with something female threaded.

The existing white plastic clean out plug is about 1 foot down inside of pipe. It is bowl shaped with 4 prongs sticking out on the inside. I need to remove this plug since the new cap has one built in and I won't be able to remove the old one when I need to. What's the trick? Special tool? Am I way off on these even being clean out plugs?

Hello:
Yes, they are most likely cleanouts. You can use a male adapter on a new pipe and screw it in. Then put a plug fitting on the top with the brass plug in it; I think the brass will screw into the same threads as the plastic plug.
Glenn

Back