Shed felt roofing help!!!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ever-TONY-an

Reaction score
I need to refelt my shed roof but haven't really got a clue.

I'm quite handy so I should be able to do it myself but I'm not sure what I need to do it.

Obviously felt, I've priced it up but how do I lay it. Is there a certain way to cut it before hand. Do I need to nail it down or use adhesive. Do I have to tape over the edges.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers in advance.

Roll the felt out and use a hammer tacker to hold it down until the shingles can be laid over top of it.
A staple every few feet in the field and around the perimeter is sufficient.
The nails from the shingles will take care of the rest.

Are you just felting your roof ?.,.,What are you using as a roof system?

See this is what I mean about not knowing anything.

I don't know nothing about roof systems and shingles. They mean nothing to me.

I thought, you cut your felt to size, you nail it down, that's it.

I don't wanna sound like I'm being rude or anything. But is that basically it, would I need to seal it anywhere, would I have to seal over the nails, do I use certain type if nail.

Thanks for the replies and help all the same.

I am starting a new shed build Monday from the slab. Your roof and weather conditions are important. If you live in a mild weather zone, you can get away with a slight pitch. Hard weather zones require steeper pitches. GET A BOOK on roofing at Home Depot or the library. This will answer nearly all your basic questions. Re-roofing can be quite easy -- but you can mess up the roof without basic knowledge.

Back