light stopped working after a couple minutes and now black

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airtas

Reaction score
I installed a built in LED flush mount ceiling light today, well I thought I did.

Everything was functioning after a couple minutes and the light turned on and off from the switch on the 2nd floor.

When I used the first floor switch I heard a pop and flicker and the light turned off.

I used the 2nd floor switch again and the light turned on.

Used the 1st floor switch and another pop. Noticed my breaker turned off as well.

I noticed black along the LED Driver and also some black along the neutral wire.

Did I install something wrong or is the light bad or something else?

I have installed the same light before so curious on what happened.

Best you tell us exactly what you had, the number of and the colour of the wires, and what all you had open. were you just replacing a fixture or is this new.

Yes, as Nealtw asks and also if possible post the make and model of the light fixture you were installing. Please also let us know what type of switches you are using. Photos help a lot please.

Did you at any time while installing this light open the first floor switch box? It would seem strange that the switch would work with an existing light but not a new one if this is the case that you were just changing out an existing light fixture.

You also state you heard a pop and saw a flicker; I would assume the pop and flicker came from the first floor switch and not at the light fixture.

Last edited:
Yes, as Nealtw asks and also if possible post the make and model of the light fixture you were installing. Please also let us know what type of switches you are using. Photos help a lot please.

Did you at any time while installing this light open the first floor switch box? It would seem strange that the switch would work with an existing light but not a new one if this is the case that you were just changing out an existing light fixture.

You also state you heard a pop and saw a flicker; I would assume the pop and flicker came from the first floor switch and not at the light fixture.

Didn't do anything with the switches, there was an existing light there before.
The flicker came from the light.

There is also the possibility that, depending upon how the 3way switch leg is wired, one of the travelers is shorted, and just you working in the box has brought it to light.

Try the switches with the new fixture removed.

The specs on the light states "dimmable". Are one of the switches a "dimmer" switch? Some dimmers are not compatible with LED unless they are stated for them.

Also, you say you have 3 of each of the wires in the light fixture box. Thanks for the photo of the light fixture box but if you can remove the metal strap and pull the wires out (don't disconnect them out of wire nuts!!) so we can see what you have would be a help (take a photo after pulling the wires out).

I replaced the light with a new light and everything is working properly.

So either the light was bad or I did something wrong (I still think I did something wrong but who knows haha)

Latest posts

Back