Is this a 60 or 45 degree miter cut?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D725A

Reaction score
See photo. I have to remove the larger piece (where the arrow is on top of) and miter box cut it to fit the smaller piece at the point of the arrow's tip. Looking at it I can't tell what angle cut it is. I know usually it would be two 45s, but for some reason the angle cut on the narrower piece looks sharper--maybe because of width difference--so I wondered if it was a 60-30 cut, and if so which would my new cut --on the longer, wider piece be, 60 or 30?

DSCN3009sm.jpg

Last edited:
It could be anything if the two boards are not the same size
If you are replacing the bigger one with the same size, draw a sq line on the new piece and measure back the width of the smaller piece on one side and that should be the angle you need.

Thanks. I guess after I remove the old piece, I could just put it on top of the new piece and line them up and pencil in the cut line on both ends.

Thanks. I guess after I remove the old piece, I could just put it on top of the new piece and line them up and pencil in the cut line on both ends.
Remove the old, lay the new one over top of the hole and mark out the new one. Then you are sure that it will be right.

Thanks. Just a final question that just occurs to me: if I find I can't re-use the old nails, do I need to use galvanized nails to install the new pieced of treated wood? And drill narrow pilot holes or just hammer them in?

Thanks. Just a final question that just occurs to me: if I find I can't re-use the old nails, do I need to use galvanized nails to install the new pieced of treated wood? And drill narrow pilot holes or just hammer them in?
Shouldn't need to pre drill holes.

The width of the boards has no effect on the angle. If the corner is square(90º) then the angle is 45º.

One board is wider than the other. so 45 will not work.

...hmmpf...

Newly learned factoid of the day.

How long does a carpenter apprentice take to learn all of this... :confused:

One board is wider than the other. so 45 will not work.

So what angle would you need to create a 90 degree corner using a 1x4 and a 1x6 ? :confused:

Hint: Only two 45's will make a 90.

So what angle would you need to create a 90 degree corner using a 1x4 and a 1x6 ? :confused:

Hint: Only two 45's will make a 90.
In this picture if you draw the line up from the smaller piece and then draw a line back to the inside corner you will get the answer which could be any two numbers that add to 90 likely something like 57-33 actual angle doesn't matter just cut the line

miters.jpg

BTW this can be cut on a chop saw that only swings to 45*
You set the saw for the smaller angle say 33* and cut the bigger board and then hold the other board at 90* to the saw and you get the angle for the other one.
This is much like cutting stair stringer or rafters with a seat, the angle is almost never 45 but they add to 90.

Hard to say but lining up the old piece with new one and getting the measurement is the easiest way to do it I would say.

Back