What's the best way to layout the sheetrock?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LIDIYer

Reaction score
I'm re-sheetrocking a ceiling 19.5'X12.5'. The joists run the short distance (12.5'). What size sheetrock and what's the best way to lay it to minimize seams and give it the best finish?

Thanks
Joe

With 4x8 sheets and not counting the seams at the walls, I get
sheet long side parallel to joists, 82' of seam and
sheet short side parallel to joists, 96' of seam.

But you will have to add wood to support the seams, possibly regardless of sheet orientation and joist spacing because
19.5' x 12" or 12.5' x 12"
divided by
16" or 24" O.C.
do not equal integers.

Writing a computer program to search for the minimum seam length is probably within the capabilities of an undergraduate Computer Science student.
With drawings you can do it on Excel.

You want 4x12 seam lengths?

Minimum waste/minimum cost is another issue. Draw it out, you'll see.

Last edited:
If the joists are 24" on center you need 5/8 drywall. Depending on how the joists are in the space, you might start with an 8ft and 12ft then a 10ft and 10 ft then 12 ft and 8 ft. And another 10 ft sheet for the two peices you need to finsh with. If the joist don't land in your faver you may have to add to the length of some sheets. In some areas you can by drywall that is 54 inches wide, if you used that for one run you would save one line of filler.

Since 19.5 x 12.5 = 243.75 the minimum number of sheets are
4x8, 243.75/32= 8 and 4x12, 6
but you'd have splices everywhere.

If you make a 1' : 1/8" scale drawing of the 19.5 room and cut out pieces of paper scaled to the sheet sizes, you can try combos pretty fast. There are many many combinations/permutations but you have a good chance of finding some minimums.

I don't know how fast you can tape seams but an hour spent at the drawing board will probably be worth it. Take several configs with you to the store in case they don't have all the sizes you need in stock. Record each config and the sheets necessary to do it so you don't have to search over again when you get home with the drywall.

Last edited:
I was going to recommend autocad, thats what I use for everything. I did a quick sketch, this is not how you would lay out the boards. Its just a start for how many boards (10) and the rough lengths they would need to be cut. Plus, using 12.5 as stud spacing does not seem correct. I would have to see it to draw it correctly.

latout.jpg

Last edited:
Back