New Window problem

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pennywise

Reaction score
I have been in the trades for over 30 years. But this is new one on me. I am buying a home and paid to have the home inspection done as I am not from the area and it seemed like a good 200$ investment for another set of eyes to take a look. I noticed that there are two arch windows over the street side of the home and they have the metal deviders making them 4 pie shaped windows. The metal dividers are for looks and are inbetween the double glazed window. I have never seen this but the metal rail on both has fallen down. Maybe it was a problem in some windows but I have never seen this. I know that most windows have argon gas filled but other than taking the window out and having it replaced or taken apart to have it fixed is there any thing that has been done for this problem? I can not see any fix other than replace or remove and repair by taking it apart.

pennywise, every thermal pane window I've seen has a butyl seal that if fractured will compromise the integrity of the window. If you can find out from the homeowner who manufactured the window there may be a warranty on replacing the units. Sometimes the MFG is stamped on the casing. It would be worth investigating. Replacement is about your only option I'm aware of if you can't stand looking at the divided light trim piece that has fallen.

Thats my thoughts. If I loose the argon gas I loose my energy rating. I will take a look at the window to see if it has a manufacture mark and maybe because it is such a rare thing they would help or take care of it.

If I loose the argon gas I loose my energy rating.

You should be aware that argon filled sealed units will lose their argon over time anyhow. Argon atoms are so small that they literally leak through any sealants used to make sealed units. But, even with 10 or 20 percent of the argon leaked out, the remaining argon in the space between the panes should still provide for less heat loss than air in that space.

Back