Laminate Floor Installation

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tk3000

Reaction score
Hello Folks,

Sometime ago I started the process of installing laminated flooring in some areas of the house: mostly installed in the master bedroom and corridor, now edging the living room from the corridor/hallway. I am using a tongue and groove laminated called "brazilian cherry" purchased at homedepot because of the looks and price point. Also, using basic underlayment. A proper tool kit and spacers been used.

The previous floor was linolium or vinyl, parts of which were a pain to remove (used prybar/hammer, chemicals, etc). Chemicals were used whereon a thick layer of tar-like asbestos rich cutback adhesive: for most part I lived the cut back in place, only scrap parts where are thick still sticking layer were present. I used bondo to repair small imperfections (probably water damage) in the wood subfloor in the bedroom. An issue I had was with non square interior walls which then create large gaps on the edge walls in some spots, like the following:

24471155016_df1ca6c82e_k.jpg
(trying to fill the edge gaps with small strips of laminate)

I understand that there should be gaps on the long runs of the laminate to account for expansion of the wood, etc, and it also makes it easy to install since everything does not have to super continuous, but often my gaps at spots such as the doorways tend to be uneven and sort of large as the one depicted below. I hope this ok, and at the end of the day it will be covered by the trim.
e
21915938489_1ff3d13854_k.jpg

(The pic above shows the past still incomplete installation on the Corridor/hallway)

23975039953_41e402d176_k.jpg

(transition from hallway to living room with doorway aluminum trim)

In the past apparently someone covered a ventillation duct with a piece of plywood for safety reasons (hole on the floor).It is truly amazing how much dirty and objects (purses, etc) can be found in an hvac ventilation duct: I got a grocery back full of thick dirty from immediate below the duct opening on the floor. It seems that the ventilation duct has a gas line going through it

21441197039_e8ed0928c3_k.jpg

The opening for the ventillation/hav on the floor measures 24x8 and I could not find a floor register to fit at most home centers I went so far. Any suggestion about there whereabouts of where one could be find?

Also, most of the cuts were done with common circular saw/miter saw blade (ripping blade) which did not render nice cutting edges, but theses edges are all going to be covered with baseboard trim, etc, so none will be visible.

thks

For out of sq, you do have to rip the board on an angle to fit..
Can you find a floor grill of any size the hole can be changed.

For out of sq, you do have to rip the board on an angle to fit..
Can you find a floor grill of any size the hole can be changed.

Yep, in a situations whereby I had to remove material from the sizes of the board (reduce its width) cut at an angle was an option (granted it is diffuclt to cut it at an angle precisely). But in the situation shown (first pic) I could not cut the side facing the wall at an angle because I had to add material (instead of removing it from the board).

I could only find a wall grill of that size (24x8), but could not find a floor register/diffuser. The wall grill is very flimsy (not safe to step on it) and looks really strange on a floor. Maybe try to add plywood to reduce the dimensions of the opening would be the best approach.

thks!

Last edited:
I would move it to the wall, do you have access to the crawl space or start hunting thru used building material shops for a real floor grille.

You can build a jig for cutting length ways if it is just nailing a straight edge to the waist piece 1 1/2" from the cut and follow that with the edge of the saw table.

Try a hvac supply house , not home depot or lowes , eCT . That size grill exists.

Try a hvac supply house , not home depot or lowes , eCT . That size grill exists.

Oddly enough some hvac supply stores (even some online ones) only sell to contractors, it is like a buyers club. Also, I looked up some hvac supplier's catalog online and could not find a diffuser of that size. I could find a grill of that size, but it was a grill and not a register/diffuser and it was a wall grill and a very flimsy one.

thks!

Last edited:
nealtw:

It is amazing the things that can be found on ebay... Maybe these grilles came from and old condemned and then demolished building.

$34
http://www.jedcosupply.com/s/1530B24...or-Grille-24x8

Yeah, at least this grill seems to be for a floor application and heavier duty. But still, I would rather have a register instead of a grill. Maybe changing the size of the opening would be the best approach

thks!

That looks like return air, then you want a grill.

Last time I checked all the other ducts connected to this same duct had register like cover on the floor, and it seems that most of the time registers/diffusers are on the floor and return air vents are up. But I will go to the crawlspace and double check the path of the ducts...

Last time I checked all the other ducts connected to this same duct had register like cover on the floor, and it seems that most of the time registers/diffusers are on the floor and return air vents are up. But I will go to the crawlspace and double check the path of the ducts...

Just turn the heat on and see if it blows or sucks.

Just turn the heat on and see if it blows or sucks.

Yeah, that would be easy enough... But I don't have a functional furnace right now (heating is taking place with a fireplace, some propane heaters with an outside propane tank, and kerosene heaters).

This time of the year over in Ohio it can get mighty cold. Heat and electric are number 1&2 always on my hit list. Sounds like you have some backup plans in place though.

Back