Garage Overhaul - siding and roof

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maschweizer

Reaction score
Hey everybody!

Earlier this year I bought a house with a garage that is in need of some repair. The foundation of the garage does not need any attention. However, the roof has 5 layers of shingles (no exaggeration) and the T-111 siding is falling apart.

My plan is this: tear off the old roof and replace shingles. Then start taking the T-111 down and replacing with 1/2" plywood, and covering with vinyl siding. Could anybody give me any tips before I start this job?

You say you have 5 layers of shingles, are you counting 10 layers thick of shingles over the fascia? Meaning if you look at the bottom course there is 9 shingles under the very first course. When you start tearing off the old layers the bottom layers will be coming off in small pieces and you will be having quite a mess. Be prepared to be doing some wood work and when you get the roof striped check for deflection in the roof deck. Stretch a string from top to bottom and side to side. Check the rafters for cracking, theres been a lot of weight on the structure, be sure to correct any problems before you start to re-roof.

Good Luck and have a big dumpster handy!

I'd re-nail the T1-11, as it is plywood rated for shear in only one layer. Get new garage door jambs, or add to what is there for the vinyl thickness.
Be safe, G

Latest posts

Back