Subfloor and Kitchen Countertops...

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soparklion11

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
House is in Pittsburgh, Pa, built in 1940s. I have tile throughout my 1st floor hallway and kitchen. That is (1) ugly and (2) cracking on some of the grout lines. Appears to be 1/4 plywood over felt over 3/4" x 6" boards laid on the diagonal.

I like my cabinets and granite countertops, but the tile runs wall to wall underneath them. Countertops are in ~6 ft sections with some polymer filling the gaps. There are piece-wise connections around the sink that should simplify the job.

I plan to remove all of the tile and the plywood, because cement board over the plywood would leave too much of a step from the neighboring hardwood floors.

1. Is cement board over 3/4" x 6" boards an appropriate substrate?
2. Can I remove the granite sections and reinstall them? How can I safely separate the granite sections? Do I need to remove the polymer material or just take out the metal straps that I believe would be holding the sections together (they are hidden by the cabinets) and use force to break them apart? I can't imagine that such a method would injure the granite. I plan to remove most of the granite sections and leave them attached to the cabinets.

Thank you and God Bless,

Brian

You have a poor sub floor, that's why it's cracking. 1 X 6's should have had decking screws added and the whole floor gone over with 1/2 thick subfloor rated plywood.
Then 1/4" tile board set in thin set.
1/4 has no place under tile!
Any step in height can be dealt with transition strips.
Cabinets need to come out to do this right in most cases.

You have a poor sub floor, that's why it's cracking. 1 X 6's should have had decking screws added and the whole floor gone over with 1/2 thick subfloor rated plywood.
Then 1/4" tile board set in thin set.
1/4 has no place under tile!
Any step in height can be dealt with transition strips.
Cabinets need to come out to do this right in most cases.

Thank you - I wasn't certain what I needed to add, but I was well aware that the existing subfloor was not appropriate.

I did realize that I need to remove the cabinets as well as the countertops. My question remains: how easy is it to separate those seams?

You won’t know until try. If the same knucklehead that did the floors did the countertops you might ruin one or both getting them apart. Or you may be able to pop them right off or cut the bond with a piece of piano wire or such. I would be tempted to leave them if they feel solid and replace the floor up to them. You really don’t know unless you try a little and see how hard it will be. Can you take a putty knife and slip it between the counter and the box easily?

I am the most concerned about moving the 2 'L-shaped' sections (56" x 46" and 56" x 63" with standard 25" depth) that weigh ~180 lbs and 220 lbs, respectively.
  1. Is there a trick to avoid breaking them - they are bare slabs of 3/4" inch granite?
  2. Should I store them on their sides or lay them flat?
  3. Is there some sort of lift that I can buy or rent? If not, how many guys would be needed? I would think 4, but should I have 5?
  4. Should I just break them and replace with new? Some say that the labor involved outweighs the benefit, compared to replacing them for ~$4k. I do plan to replace the cabinets.

Thank You!

I am not bing a meany pooh pooh head, not my intention at all.

the questions you are asking, make me think the project is over your head.

I humbly submit you should hire it done

With the right blade you can cut the tile with a toe kick saw and then change blades and cut the plywood, leave the cupboards alone.

House is in Pittsburgh, Pa, built in 1940s. I have tile throughout my 1st floor hallway and kitchen. That is (1) ugly and (2) cracking on some of the grout lines. Appears to be 1/4 plywood over felt over 3/4" x 6" boards laid on the diagonal.

I like my cabinets and granite countertops, but the tile runs wall to wall underneath them. Countertops are in ~6 ft sections with some polymer filling the gaps. There are piece-wise connections around the sink that should simplify the job.

I plan to remove all of the tile and the plywood, because cement board over the plywood would leave too much of a step from the neighboring hardwood floors.

1. Is cement board over 3/4" x 6" boards an appropriate substrate?
2. Can I remove the granite sections and reinstall them? How can I safely separate the granite sections? Do I need to remove the polymer material or just take out the metal straps that I believe would be holding the sections together (they are hidden by the cabinets) and use force to break them apart? I can't imagine that such a method would injure the granite. I plan to remove most of the granite sections and leave them attached to the cabinets.

Thank you and God Bless,

Brian

As suggested, leave the cabinets alone.

If there is wood trim along the base of the cabinet, remove it. rent or purchase a FIEN tool and several blades for cutting both the tile and wood.

The 1x6 is dia. sheating and was typical for the era and I would first mark the floorjoist lay-out on a surface, such as masking tape on a wall and cabinet toe kick, then place a layer of 30lb felt prior to the cement board.

However, is there an installed dishwasher or under counter trash compactor in the kitchen?

And if there is and you do not remove it prior to installing the new floor, can it/they be removed afterward?

Back