Current state of IKO shingle quality?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golem

Reaction score
Like all manufacturers products IKO had a bit of bad press a few years ago but all seems to be quite quiet on that front since then. From what I can tell IKO shingles have been used extensively since then on new construction and re-roofs with no recent product related complaints. So, I'm wondering if anyone has first hand knowledge toward shingle quality of late? I'm really liking IKO Cambridge with the straight cut tabs -- A nice compromise between 3-tab and architectural.

Any insight appreciated.

Last edited:
I had IKO 3 tab shingles installed about 5 years ago and they came unsealed.
Some spots the tar strip failed in other spots the tar strip pulled the top layer of the shingle underneath.
I had a roofing company speak with an IKO Rep at a conference and IKO claimed to have no knowledge of such occurrences.
IKO continues to be junk IMO, although the Cambridge seems to be popular.

Our experience is that they are a inexpensive, builder grade shingle. There are better quality, in my opinion, shingles on the market. If I were to reroof my house I would look at other options. Just my :2cents: Roofing is a big ticket item, I want the best quality I can afford so I'm not having to replace the roof prematurely. The biggest thing about making a roof last is proper application of materials. Most failures occur because of improper installation. Nail placement and proper lengthy of fasteners, and the correct amount of fasteners is very important to maximizing roof life.

Much appreciate the replies!

Argh! Not what I was hoping to read.

In addition to what's been stated I guess another consideration is warranty. From what I understand IKO's shingle warranty period is equal to that of other major manufacturers but seems it's not as liberal and actually requires water damage before honoring. Something that would require consideration if true.

For a 10-15% premium I'd be satisfied choosing another manufacturer. I was really eying IKO mainly because of the shingle styling. Most homes in my area still have 3-tab while a select few have traditional architectural. Just wanted to be different, but...not one of the Jones'. :)

Last edited:
Do not confuse warranty with guarantee. MFG's warrant their product against MFG defects. This does not in any way imply performance of the product once applied to a roof. By not applying the material to the MFG's specifications, warranties can be voided.

Absolutely -- That's yet another consideration and based on much research I think I've narrowed it down to a competent roofer who stands behind their labor. Not sure though if being listed as a "Manufacturer Certified Installer" implies there should be no question regarding warranty in the unfortunate event of product failure. They install GFA, Certainteed and IKO but from what I can tell possess only GAF Master Elite and Certainteed Shingle Master, nothing from IKO (if available).

If you use Gaf or Certainteed, and get the extended warranties, they will have a factory inspector come and certify the installation.

Thanks for the heads-up! Depending on the price it could be a worthy investment. This roofer offers free guarantee transfers for GAF and Certainteed ($100 for IKO) and since I don't expect to be here but for a handful of years longer it could be a selling point.

Oops, just want to correct my last post.

The guarantee transfers I mentioned are instead manufacturer product warranties. I was told transfer of these are free of charge by GAF and Certainteed while IKO charges a $100 fee. Also, my current contractor of choice is additionally an IKO certified installer "If" I were to choose that product.

Latest posts

Back