DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Decks & Patios > Need help building a deck

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 06-02-2017, 08:28 AM  
Chris
Default Need help building a deck

I need to put a deck and stairs to gain access to the second floor of my shop. It is set up to be an apartment up there but unfinished. Can you guys guide me to make sure it is strong and secured properly? What size ledger and how to make sure it doesn't fall off down the road. What size joists and spacing? What size and how many support posts? I am thinking the size I want us 8 x 12.

Here is a pic of where I want it built.

File Type: jpg 1496413721390.jpg (100.7 KB, 78 views)

Old 06-02-2017, 08:51 AM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2993 Times on 2622 Posts
Likes Given: 4929

Our standard deck would be built out of 2x10s

On the outside 2 6x6 treated post 11 ft apart 7 ft from the building
On top of the posts a double 2x10 beam then joists at 16" on center. Ledger lag bolted to the rim joist, with hanger for the 2x10 joists

If the deck is solid surface it should be 6" below the floor level and have a slope 1/8 to 1/4 inch per foot. Outside 3 joists can be treated unless you want to add fancy painted wood.

Treated wood deck can be just below the floor level.

Best is to dig down below frost and use a big foot form and tube and fill with concrete to 6" above ground level with post saddles and rebar.

Either way some plywood will have to be removed

Last edited by nealtw; 06-02-2017 at 08:54 AM.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:06 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1492 Times on 1140 Posts
Likes Given: 801

Neal’s plan sounds pretty good to me. I would want 3 posts spaced as he said but one in the middle. I would also add some diagonal braces at the top of each post to stop racking along the long edge of the deck.

I would think about making it larger in both directions and using the space below for a car port or storage, if I had a use for the deck above. If I wasn’t going to need a deck just a way to get up to the door. I would go much smaller with just stairs and a landing.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:44 AM  
Sparky617
Liked 278 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Here you'd need to have Y or Z braces on the posts. An uncovered deck would need to be 6" below the door to prevent splashing on the door causing premature failure. Footer depth would be locally determined by your frost line, your permitting department would be able to help out. Your garage footers would be a good guide. All the wood framing would be pressure treated, decking could be pressure treated, composite or wood naturally resistant to rot and insect damage (Ipe or other tropical hardwoods, Redwood).

Ledger would need to be bolted to the structure. The beam would need to be through bolted to the posts, and we'd need three here with 5/8" hex head bolts with washers on both sides, no carriage bolts.

This is one of the better guides I've seen issued by a local government. It likely meets and may exceed your local requirements. But your local codes office would be the best place to confirm it. http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dpwes/p...ks/details.pdf

Old 06-02-2017, 09:48 AM  
Chris

I was going to do just stairs and a landing but just incase down the road someone ends up living there or staying for a long time it would be nice to have their own space. The apartment will be small, my usable space is 14 x 40 and I wanted to keep a 10 x 14 area in the back for storage so the apartment will be 14 x 30.

I will probably enclose the space below the deck at some point for storage. No need for any more parking, I am working on a large pole barn for that stuff. Enclosing it makes me lean more towards a plywood deck instead of 2 x 6's so there is nothing dripping through, then I will have to paint or coat it to waterproof it.

Neal, when you say plywood will have to be removed? can you explain a little better?

Old 06-02-2017, 09:52 AM  
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky617 View Post
Here you'd need to have Y or Z braces on the posts. An uncovered deck would need to be 6" below the door to prevent splashing on the door causing premature failure. Footer depth would be locally determined by your frost line, your permitting department would be able to help out. Your garage footers would be a good guide. All the wood framing would be pressure treated, decking could be pressure treated, composite or wood naturally resistant to rot and insect damage (Ipe or other tropical hardwoods, Redwood).

Ledger would need to be bolted to the structure. The beam would need to be through bolted to the posts, and we'd need three here with 5/8" hex head bolts with washers on both sides, no carriage bolts.

This is one of the better guides I've seen issued by a local government. It likely meets and may exceed your local requirements. But your local codes office would be the best place to confirm it. http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dpwes/p...ks/details.pdf
Our local requirements are not the greatest. I am trying to find the sheet they gave me and I will post it

Old 06-02-2017, 10:35 AM  
Sparky617

You'd be hard pressed to fail if you used the guide I posted. It is pretty good.

Old 06-02-2017, 11:48 AM  
Chris

What's your guys opinion on 4x4 supports? Can always add an extra. I ask because I have several Simpson ties for them already, it would save me 100 bucks

Old 06-02-2017, 12:01 PM  
slownsteady
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1140 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1872

If you're planning on Trex or something similar, you would want closer joist spacing.....

Old 06-02-2017, 12:13 PM  
Sparky617

4x4 posts would not pass inspection here.

joecaption Likes This