DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Decks & Patios > We Need a Privacy Screen For the Spa

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 09-04-2017, 10:02 PM  
voyager
Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Default We Need a Privacy Screen For the Spa

I have finally finished rebuilding the Pergola over the spa.
The spa is now back in service, and has been for a few weeks.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTE:
I call it a spa instead of a hot tub because we use it for cooling down on hot days, not for warming up on cold days like we always did in the northern tier.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
We have a very private back yard, except for one small area open to viewing from 1 window in the neighbor's home.
We skinny dip in the spa, ... always have, always will.
We have hung a shower curtain to block the view of the spa.
It does the job.
I do not care what they know.
All I care about is what they see.
It appears to be OK with them, been doing it for 4 years now.
We're still on friendly, if not distant terms.

The distance between the posts is 125".
The shower curtain is 65" wide.
We could hang a second curtain from the other side.
But, the curtain[s] do not work well with breezes and winds.
Not going to sew weights into the bottoms.

We have double retractable screen doors on the 3 exterior french doors of the house.
Something similar but with a fabric screen really appeals to me.
But, I have looked into replacing the retractable french door screens, screens and/or complete units.
The complete units are not cheap!
But, I am.

I've looked online for DIY privacy screen ideas.
I've found some of interest, but nothing that really makes me say: YEAH!
I'm thinking of a one sided, 4 to 6' high fabric screen, hung from a rope, wire or rod, and attached to a wood or metal end piece that pulls across the opening and fastens to the opposite post top and bottom to stabilize the screen during breezes.

I have problems with how to get it to be a roll up retractable.
I only see how to make it a sliding retractable that simply gathers up on one end.
That may be what I will have to do if I can't figure the other out.

Any thoughts, or suggestions?

Click image for larger version

Name:	RIMG0051.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	14561   Click image for larger version

Name:	RIMG0049.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	14562  

Old 09-04-2017, 10:28 PM  
Chris

Have you thought about those roll up ones they sell at the box stores? they are fairly heavy so they stand still in breezes but not wind. We put them up at my grandfathers house years ago and work pretty well.

Old 09-05-2017, 05:02 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1492 Times on 1140 Posts
Likes Given: 801

We have tried the heavy high quality shower curtains and they work pretty good. We have used the roll up plastic ones and they last a year or two and the sun wind and cold break them down around here. The heavy curtains hold up well but get blown around.

Two places I built a solid wood screen that lets air pass thru by staggering the upright boards on each side of the frame and slightly overlapping them. I used 5/4 decking wood but the thinner fence boards would work fine. That’s the way I would make yours I think. I have also seen them done like a basket weave with the boards going horizontal.

If you want to put us up for a week or two or fifteen, we will come over and help you design and build it. I’m retiring at the end of the month and have all the time in the world. HaHa.

Old 09-05-2017, 06:30 AM  
Snoonyb
Liked 448 Times on 397 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I put small casters on a folding room divider for a customer.It's a little bulky when collapsed but there was only a single anchor point, unlike yours.

Old 09-05-2017, 02:46 PM  
voyager

@ Chris
I've seen and considered those. If you mean those that retract by rolling up at the top whether by a crank or an electric motor:
too complicated and/or expensive.
If you mean the ones that attach at the top and roll up from the bottom. They come in very usable lengths, 96" & 120". The 96" width looks to be the best option as it would have about a 1'+ opening on both ends or a 2' opening on one end for access when lowered.
It would need to be easily raised and lowered by M'Lady when I wasn't around.
The biggest problems are the materials. We live in an area that is rated at 150"/yr of precipitation. Although, we are actually in a drought period right now. We also get a lot of intense sun, between the rains, and humidity goes up to 96 to 100% every night. Even though we don't have the cold, snow and winter weather, the wood, bamboo, cotton, canvas, or plastic types would still be very prone to weathering from the sun, rain and humidity and alge growth. Note the black alge growing on the concrete.
But then, the bamboo screens are cheap enough that they could be considered to be expendable and simply replaced every 2 or 3 years.
I'm still wishy-washing around on this one.

@ bud16415 & Snoonyb
I am trying to get away from using shower curtains due to their inherent problems.

From the pics you can see that there is very little extra space on the slab. Solid, folding, roll around or other similar installs just take up too much room without adding more slab area. Which could be done, but I'm not going to.

Ha, Ha, bud. Take a number.
Friends and relatives, that never visited, or even asked to visit in the almost 35 years I lived in Alaska, are now lined up to come visit us here. I've been thinking about building a small ohana in the back of out lot and renting it out to them as a vacation rental. It would definitely slow down the inquiries and provide income as my SocSec looses value through time.
M'Lady refused to consider a B&B in any way.

Last edited by voyager; 09-05-2017 at 02:53 PM.

Old 09-05-2017, 03:24 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2993 Times on 2622 Posts
Likes Given: 4929

http://www.papatio.com/PrvacyScreensShutters.asp

See down the page. Patio Privacy Shutters

Old 09-05-2017, 04:16 PM  
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager View Post
@ Chris
I've seen and considered those. If you mean those that retract by rolling up at the top whether by a crank or an electric motor:
too complicated and/or expensive.
If you mean the ones that attach at the top and roll up from the bottom. They come in very usable lengths, 96" & 120". The 96" width looks to be the best option as it would have about a 1'+ opening on both ends or a 2' opening on one end for access when lowered.
It would need to be easily raised and lowered by M'Lady when I wasn't around.
The biggest problems are the materials. We live in an area that is rated at 150"/yr of precipitation. Although, we are actually in a drought period right now. We also get a lot of intense sun, between the rains, and humidity goes up to 96 to 100% every night. Even though we don't have the cold, snow and winter weather, the wood, bamboo, cotton, canvas, or plastic types would still be very prone to weathering from the sun, rain and humidity and alge growth. Note the black alge growing on the concrete.
But then, the bamboo screens are cheap enough that they could be considered to be expendable and simply replaced every 2 or 3 years.
I'm still wishy-washing around on this one.

@ bud16415 & Snoonyb
I am trying to get away from using shower curtains due to their inherent problems.

From the pics you can see that there is very little extra space on the slab. Solid, folding, roll around or other similar installs just take up too much room without adding more slab area. Which could be done, but I'm not going to.

Ha, Ha, bud. Take a number.
Friends and relatives, that never visited, or even asked to visit in the almost 35 years I lived in Alaska, are now lined up to come visit us here. I've been thinking about building a small ohana in the back of out lot and renting it out to them as a vacation rental. It would definitely slow down the inquiries and provide income as my SocSec looses value through time.
M'Lady refused to consider a B&B in any way.
Those are the ones I was talking about, cheap and hand roll from the bottom.

Old 09-07-2017, 01:09 AM  
voyager

Had to go into town today.
Stopped by HD and looked at their shades.

I'm kinda liking this one in 120" length X 96" height.
It does go the full width of the opening, but it has tie down bungees that need to be fairly close to the upright.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Coolaroo-...0082/203304084

Looking through the questions, the mfgr. says that it takes up to 6 turns of the crank to move the shade 1 foot up or down.
By everything right and proper, that would at full extent with the number of cranks getting less as the roll dia. gets larger.

I would need to add a cross member at the height it was to be mounted.
That's why an 8' height would be better than a 6' height. I will need to make some measurements tomorrow after daylight to confirm.
Then, I'll need to run it by M' Lady after she gets back from her France trip in 2 to 3 weeks.
That Walnut coloring is the only one in the size needed to do the job.
In the end, she had to OK it.
I'm not dumb enough to cross her on this type of thing.

Last edited by voyager; 09-07-2017 at 01:11 AM.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:32 AM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Those are nice enough and do most as advertised. Couple things with them. They can be a bear to roll up in a wind as you have to release the hold downs. They only stay in place with the friction of the crank mechanism so in a big wind it will unwind some more and un-tether the hold downs or just roll out when it is up. So you would want find a way to lock the crank so it won't move.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:30 AM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

RudisFL Likes This