I want an opinion

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having a background in law enforcement, I personally do not like the fingerprint ID gismo's. A street officer who stops a suspect with fingerprint embedded property will have no way to receive ownership status in less than two hours, and most cops will just let the bad guy go. For about $12, you can purchase a vibrating enscriber and place your state driver's license number on it. All agencies can run D/L's via their computer or dispatch immediately.

Regarding cracking codes on alarms, yes they are available, but only work on old antique systems. Call your local alarm company and ask them about the newest technology with alarm systems.

One last recommendation I will provide is to pay special attention to where the alarm companies have their dispatch centers. Some cheap, very well know companies have their dispatch center several states away, and your response time will be delayed up to 30 minutes, before they figure out that your alarm has been activated. I've seen this way too many times! Find a local company with their dispatch center in a local area if possible. :thumb's up!:

Adam you're lucky, Havasu is the man to answer your question.

Really helpful Havasu. I'm looking to have an alarm system installed and you're answer to Adam has saved me having to ask the same question. A big thank you!

Alarm systems often have default codes entered by the mfg, and these can vary from dealer to dealer. A large enough alarm dealer can even have their own factory default settings. But even without factory defaults, most alarm dealers instruct the technicians to install a company-wide "master code" - or the company programs such a code in. It makes it easier for company employees to access the systems, and also can make it harder for another alarm company to "take over" the system.

The good news is that you have a system - and you should be using it! Homes with a monitored alarm system are only 1/3 as likely to be burglarized as homes without one. Also, cellular monitoring is much safer than phone line monitoring - bad guys cut phone (and internet) connections on a regular basis.

Good luck!

Jimbo56, You have the best idea. I worked on a house a year ago, this guy had a dog barking recording go off when I got within 20' of the house. Made me stop in my tracks. G

Disguised attempt at spam. Reported to a moderator.

Back