DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Framing and Foundation > Bathroom Exhaust Line Tear

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:56 PM  
thapranksta
Home DIY Newbie
Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Whole cutout

Two pieces of Advantech with T&G sawed off placed inside cutout

Pieces of Advantech currently screwed to existing floor between joists.

Box I built to support edge of new subfloor by the wall parallel to joists.

Is the box parallel to the floor joists a good idea? It is a size where I have to apply a little pressure to wedge it in there. A little less than half of the top of the box (1.5'' or so) will be exposed for screwing down the subfloor. If the box is a good idea, do I need to build boxes for the wall perpendicular to the wall as well or can I use strips of the flooring like I did for the part connecting to the middle of the floor? Hope I'm making sense.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:11 PM  
slownsteady
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1129 Times on 935 Posts
Likes Given: 1846

you might find this video helpful, although your hole is a bit bigger:
https://youtu.be/LI7VUyzYA6U

I see one end of the box is resting on framing, is the other end resting on framing too?

Old 07-07-2015, 08:14 PM  
thapranksta
Home DIY Newbie

Yeah, the other end will be resting on the frame as well. It isn't in the picture.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:28 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2915 Times on 2556 Posts
Likes Given: 4802

You do need solid blocking on both sides every space, Longer screws, screw down thru the wall plate for you blocking against the wall.

Old 07-10-2015, 01:42 PM  
thapranksta
Home DIY Newbie

I've gone forward with this project. I opened up more of the subfloor. I planned to put the same subfloor back down in those places since it didn't need replacement but a small layer on top of the I-joists came up when I removed one part of the subfloor and I may have to install a totally new piece for that one. I've got 4'' insulated R6 flexible ducting. I am not sure if I will be able to install all the ducting from the inside of the house as the exit hole seems as though it is not the cleanest job and the mildewed ducting completely extends through the hole. I will attempt to post pictures later.

Last edited by thapranksta; 07-10-2015 at 01:44 PM.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:54 PM  
slownsteady
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1129 Times on 935 Posts
Likes Given: 1846

We like to hear about progress. Just curious, Why did you stick with flexible pipe?

Old 07-11-2015, 10:41 AM  
thapranksta
Home DIY Newbie

I stuck with flexible pipe because it was readily available insulated and it would be easier to try to snake through the existing holes..

Old 07-11-2015, 10:56 AM  
thapranksta
Home DIY Newbie

Here are more pics as promised. I have more of a dilemma on my hand now as you will see below. I cut cavities that will allow me to access all the ducting in the upstairs bonus room where it is routed under the subfloor and exits the house.

Picture of fan opening in 1st floor bathroom ceiling (7.5'' x 7.5'')

Pictures of floor cavities and Subfloor pieces removed

This is the end of the line for the venting from the room upstairs where the flexible ducting exits the house. On the other side of the wall at the top of the picture is a tiled bathroom unfortunately and the 1st floor bathroom that the ducting runs from appears right below it.

Seems like I have three options: 1) try to cut a large enough hole in the 1st floor bath ceiling to remove the current fan box and install a new one, 2) try to cut a larger access hole in the I-joist in the bonus room which seems like it could start affecting the structural integrity, or 3) gut the bathroom floor above it, removing the tile and subfloor and creating a much larger project but having direct access to the area above the bathroom fan.

Ugh.

Last edited by thapranksta; 07-11-2015 at 10:59 AM.

Old 07-11-2015, 02:10 PM  
thapranksta
Home DIY Newbie

I went ahead and replaced the duct vent outside. I found that the flexible pipe was screwed directly to the outside vent itself. Later I found out why besides the cost reduction. The hole was much too small for a straight pipe to fit completely through it. I did use a straight pipe after much effort sanding and forcing the pipe through the exit hole. [Someone with a dirty mind might have fun with my wording. lol.] I also found that the vent and end of the flexible piping was home to bugs at one point in time. I suspect rodents might have also been through there.

Now I can't get the vent outside to sit flush with the house because the collar will not fit through the hole. Is there any way to cover this gap and make it look more aesthetically pleasing without renting masonry hole cutting tools.

No way to stop bugs from getting in there.

This came out as soon as I disconnected the vent from the pipe.

Straight pipe inside

Outside - new vent with a flap to keep bugs out and also a pest guard. The gap around it is a little unsightly. I applied caulk but there's no way it could ever reach it.

Last edited by thapranksta; 07-11-2015 at 02:13 PM.

Old 07-11-2015, 05:23 PM  
thapranksta
Home DIY Newbie

I fixed the gap problem with a masonry chisel I went to pick up. I put more caulk behind it. Inside where there are gaps between the straight pipe and wood wall, I plan to put steel wool and put caulk on top of it. Then there will be insulation placed around the pipe as well. I've still got to figure out how to get to the bathroom fan duct connection safely though before I can change out the whole thing. A small victory in the grand scheme of things but a victory nonetheless. :-)

Last edited by thapranksta; 07-11-2015 at 05:29 PM.
slownsteady Likes This