Windows/Counter Tops

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

load

Reaction score
Old house. Getting ready to install new cabinets and counter tops in the kitchen. Measured from the base of the window sills and compared to my cabinet options and counter top options and nothing matches up. It seems if I use off the shelf cabinets and standard top my sill will be lower than the top of splash rail on the top. I am sure with enough money you could order anything to fix this but what are some of my other options. Was thinking of lowering the cabinets but would think that would not look right. Probably my option will be to order a top with a lower section where the windows are. If I go that way, what will be some ideas to finish that section Thanks

Your counters want to be 36" to match the stove and dishwasher, How high are the bottom of the windows.

How much overlap are we talking about here? There may be decorative trim under the window that is unnecessary and which can be removed. And the splash can be notched if the overlap is minor.

There are a variety of ways to go, and without knowing how much the mismatch is or the condition of the old windows it’s a tough call. If the windows are old and leaky and energy poor I would remove the window and buy a replacement window of less height and build the window rough framing up. If that’s out of the budget and the difference is slight the sill can be raised up in front of the sash. If there is more difference you could get a counter top where the backsplash is a separate piece and have it cut down in that area or have no back splash in that area.

I had a low window in my current kitchen and it wasn’t even where I wanted it. I wanted a higher window and one centered above the sink. I took the old one out added a new replacement window where I wanted one and filled the hole on the outside after removing all the siding and then put it back up to suit the new window location. I ran out needing one more strip of siding so I took one from the side of the house no one sees and used that because of fading. Then replaced that with a new piece of siding.

I made mine such that the window sill came flush with the top of the back splash and in an old house the walls are pretty thick and the extension jamb is a nice plant shelf right behind the sink.

Another idea is if the window is quite low in good condition and the location is right some people like a writing desk in a kitchen. Drop the counter height in that area to desk height and have a desk with a view.

Thought about that after I posted. The window sill is at 36"' The window is located directly above the sink. The windows are old, original I believe, House built around 1900 or so. I was thinking around the line of seperate items, back splash and top, but could not come up with a idea on how to finsh off that area with out a back splash. The counter top would be flush with sill.

Part of the charm of an old house is in how you transition between the old and the new IMO. My home and the one before it were circa 1880’s and many suggested I rip everything out and make a new house out of the old frame. If I wanted that I would have built or bought a new home. On the other hand you want to not live like they did in 1900 in your case.
You will have to cut the sill off flush with the wall in any case to get your base up to the wall and also the trim on each side. I would then set my base up flush with the sill and then make a new sill to go on top of the old one that will overlap the counter by maybe half an inch or more depending on how the faucet will sit. The new sill should go out to cover side trim also and the backsplash would end at that point. Depending on countertop materials they make fancy ways to end the backsplash with miters and curves and such. The way the window is now it closes down behind the old sill it will just go in a little deeper. I’m assuming the window is a double hung.

I had about the same issue where my granite counter top was almost exactly the same height as my sill. I pulled the apron off, cut the sill flush with the wall and trimmed the casing up 1-1/2 inches above the finished counter height. I ran a piece of 1x2 wood trim on the top of the shortened sill, flush with the wall and inside the casing as a riser. Added a new sill on top of it and under and just proud of the shortened side casings.
Effectively raised the sill over the counter about 3/4" which I set a matching ribbon tile over when I tiled the back splash. Had a very small well area but in the end it looked great.

Back