Crabgrass Preventer

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cibula11

Reaction score
With the above normal temps in Iowa this past week, I am wondering if I should apply crabgrass preventer. I know the forecast is cooler weather, but the grass is really growing and might even need to be mowed in the next day or so. I just don't want to miss my chance. Should I apply now?

;) I think you put it down when it gets close to 55 degrees ;) Although if you saw my lawn you may not listen to me. It lasts well for 30 days, and only prevents crabgrass - doesn't kill existing, so early was certainly better than late!

I always thought "crabgrass preventer" acted to prevent the crabgrass seed from germinating in the spring. Applying it now wouldn't do a whole lot for you. With warm weather, yes there will probably be some of it trying to germinate, but crabgrass will die off when it gets cold.

I know some of the chemicals are not so discriminating. If you are trying to overseed your lawn, they will also prevent the "desirable" grass from germinating as well.

Best to consult your local garden center (not the big boxes, but local nursery) to get their recomendations.

Also I've heard that crabgrass will not germinate if it is shaded. So if you get regular grass going (probably sod at this point, too late for seed to get established) next spring the nasty crabgrass seeds will be shaded and prevented from sprouting. Of course that means they will be there waiting the next year, and the next.....

Crabgrass is most effective when applied early spring. How can you tell when the time is right? By measuring soil temperature. Crabgrass seeds germinate in the spring when soils reach 55 degrees Fahrenheit. Just a heads up, though!

:)

Latest posts

Back