Old Brick to Rocky Japanese Garden

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejordan

Reaction score
Hello all,

Our entryway consists of really old bricks and we're thinking of converting it into a Japanese style rocky area with bricks stepping stones.

I'm a novice, so I would just like some input on my strategy. We have a tight budget and busy schedules so we came up with an approach that is inexpensive and quick.

My idea was to cover the area with weed mat and then cover that with a layer of small rocky pebbles, and then lay down the stepping stones for the path.

My only concerns is whether I should first remove the brick layer first, and how I might go about that.

Appreciate any insight....
Thanks,
Eric

brick.jpg

I see no harm in leaving the brick if thats what you want to do. Are they loose laid over a sand base? Or grouted In between ?

Appears to be laid over a sand base, as we get a lot of weeds coming up through the bricks.

You can’t add too much stone or you will have it coming in the doors without taking the brick out. I personally like the brick and being able to use the area. With stone and stepping stones the area will just be pass thru. I would pressure wash the brick sweep in some new sand and spray it with some weed killer. If the brick is too hard to keep up then you could remove it and pour something one piece in there with whatever kind of texture you wanted.

If you want gravel offer the brick for free on line and someone will come and take it away in a heartbeat. Then do your cloth and gravel and stepping stones.

I kind of agree with Bud. It would be a shame to make that patio unusable for leisure activity. You might get a bit creative and make a few pools of pebbles as an accent. Since the brick is loose-layed, you can remove a few in a given area and fill the void with stone or pebbles. You might even find a way to make the 'pools' less geometric by cutting a few bricks around the edges. The bricks will keep the stone from spreading which is a good thing IMO.

Latest posts

Back