Sealing Grout in Washroom...Should I or Shouldn't I?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuckyAbby72

Reaction score
Hi,

I had a total renovation done on my 3 piece washroom. The floor, approx. half way up the wall and the entire shower stall was tiled including the ceiling in the shower area. The grout is light grey/silver. My question is.........should I seal all of the grout lines? I've been given mixed opinions about this.

The subcontractor/installer said it was optional (not included in the quote)and a customer service rep at a local tiling store told me that sealing the grout wasn't necessary or recommended. In fact, she stated that it's wise NOT to seal the grout because it allows the grout to "breathe and dry out" after showers. That left me somewhat unsure as I've always been under the impression that grout should be sealed to prevent unsightly mold from growing.

I bought HG grout protector to apply to all of the grout in the washroom (floor, walls, shower stall, and shower ceiling), but I haven't applied it yet because I was given differing opinions.

I've attached a picture of the HG grout sealer that I've purchased. I've already applied it to the grout in my main floor hallway and I'd like to get the washroom done, IF it should in fact be done. I think it should. (Why else do they make it?) What do you think? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

grout sealer.jpg

I think the reason to seal grout is to keep it from discoloring.

Our rule is to apply three coats of grout sealer, leaving dry time in between. While tile is impermeable to moisture, grout is porous. In addition, grout picks up dirt and waxy build up from soaps. Sealer protects against that. Use a grout brush because it works much faster.

GROUT.jpg

Thanks for all of your opinions :)

@Nealtw - Yes, it seems that a clear caulking (I think it's silicone) was applied along the corners and where the tiles meet the tub. The sealer can't be applied to silicone so I applied it to all of the other grout lines.

@slownsteady - The sealer was manufactured by a company that offers a myriad of products for tiles. It's not an "as seen on TV product". I figured it was worth the $20 if it would reduce/eliminate mould, staining, and discolouring of the light coloured grout. The job was completed at the end September and I sealed it in January. I waited longer than I should have. I think you're supposed to let it cure for a couple of weeks before sealing it.

@Callmevilla - Great info. Thanks! I used a brush bottle while sealing the grout between the floor tiles and it really sped up the process. It was too messy to use on the walls and shower ceiling so I used a thin paint brush and that worked well. I applied two coats of protectant and allowed 1.5 hours drying time between coats. It seemed to absorb a lot of the sealer during the first coat because I wiped off a lot of excess during the application of the second coat. Here's hoping it works well.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply to my question. I appreciate it!

Great job, Lucky ... These finishing steps make the difference between "average" and "excellent" work ... You get an A+ :D

@slownsteady - The sealer was manufactured by a company that offers a myriad of products for tiles. It's not an "as seen on TV product". I figured it was worth the $20 if it would reduce/eliminate mould, staining, and discolouring of the light coloured grout.

I didn't think it was a made-for-TV product that you picked up. I was just making a point that marketers will sell anything they think they can make money on - whether it works or not.

Back