Fence Pickets

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cibula11

Reaction score
could i use my pneumatic nailer with galvanized nails, to attach fence pickets?

yep :)

Use a c clamp to hold them still while you nail them

I forgot to mention it is a 15 guage finish nailer. some have told me that those nails won't hold a fence picket.

In that case, NO :)

You need to use a framing head with a picket over 2" wide and over 1/2" thick. Larger pieces of wood/pickets will expand and contract enough with moisture to rip the trim nails through or eventually break them off. Screws are not a bad choice in this situation and will last a very long time. There are screws made especially for exterior use. Perfect for this application.
Predrill the pickets with a countersinking bit and you will reduce splitting considerably.

In that case, NO :)

You need to use a framing head with a picket over 2" wide and over 1/2" thick. Larger pieces of wood/pickets will expand and contract enough with moisture to rip the trim nails through or eventually break them off. Screws are not a bad choice in this situation and will last a very long time. There are screws made especially for exterior use. Perfect for this application.
Predrill the pickets with a countersinking bit and you will reduce splitting considerably.
Totally agree on this one

Latest posts

Back