How to insulate in wall cavity

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredcapo

Reaction score
I have been restoring a 1910ish Victorian style home in north jersey. The attic is a third floor walk up. This summer I removed the floorboards and had a crew remove the vermiculite that was under the floorboards, so I could install central AC ductwork. The attic rafters and sidewalls are now properly insulated.

I discovered after floor was removed, that there is an open space around the attic floor perimeter that is drops down to the exterior wall cavity of the second story of the house...plaster/lath on "in" side and sheathing wall on "out" side. Open void width of 2x4 in between. Did not inspect everywhere yet so not sure if there is a header anywhere.

So thinking I have a good place to hide any spare cash, or maybe better, to add insulation. I could pour in insulation but know there must be a catch...issue re vapor barrier, etc... Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks

Fairly typical of ballon framing.

How have we ever survived.

So you have insulated the attic like living space but the walls below are not insulated?

Yes/no part of the house is bounded by a modern insulated additions...two rooms were insulated when renovated (kitchen bath). As per rest of the house, two winters have actually been pretty comfortable with plaster walls, 1 inch sheathing and cedar clapboard.

A balloon frame has studs that go from the foundation to the roof line, but in this photo you can see you can almost find anything.
What ever you do with insulation when you are done you should install, fire stopping so fire is slowed if it is in the wall or basement. Any time you have access to the studs at floor level just plug those holes with full sized 2x4.
You will have to cut your own out of 2x6. and seal around that with fire rated foam.
With plaster you don't need to worry about vapour barrier .
With a weight and string you can map out what is in the walls so if you drop insulation in with the map you will know what will not be insulated when you are done. Like area below windows.

BSI-033_Photo_02.jpg

Back