butter

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frodo

Reaction score
pour a cup of extra heavy cream into a qt mason jar.

shake the jar vigorously for 10-15 minutes

separate the butter milk from butter..drink it or save for biscuits

wash butter in cold water form it

I did it, i made butter and it was no big deal,

add a little salt at the end after you knead it and rinse it off.

2 cups of heavy cream makes 1 cup of butter 1 cup of butter milk

tastes hell of a lot better than ....crap from the stora

Started out with a half pint of Whipping Cream
image (8).jpg
Pour it in a quart mason jar and screw the lid on. You want to shake up and down vigorously, making it hit the top and bottom of the jar.
This is after about 3 or 4 minutes - whipped cream (you can hear the sound change)
image (9).jpg
After another 3-4 minutes of shaking (during which time it will all start sticking together instead of coating the inside of the jar) then you will start hearing liquid.
This is the butter milk separating. Just less than a minute after you here the liquid separate you will start feeling a lump hitting in the jar. And you have butter.
image (10).jpg

Strain the buttermilk thru a cloth and drink or save for biscuits (you will only get about 1/4 cup from this)

image (11).jpg

Wash and form the butter in cold water and wallah!

image (12).jpg

Neat. I made butter once when I was in Sweden. But it was in an old wooden churn thing.

So, I assume this would be an unsalted butter? To make a regular salted butter, do you just add salt at some point of the process?

when its finished, you can add spices, garlic, and salt

Neat. I made butter once when I was in Sweden. But it was in an old wooden churn thing.

i would like to have an old wooden churn thing...that would be cool

You mentioned the whipped cream stage...my wife makes whipped cream in her Kitchen Aid mixer. If she keeps going, will it turn to butter?

I have heard it will, but do not know personally.

tell her to try it. then we will know,

I am wondering if my tumbler will work ?

Back