Gray ceiling

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pcnerd

Reaction score
Hello,

I am thinking of having the ceiling paint a light gray color with almond walls:D.

This will be our family room with a projection for movie viewing. Would the gray color shows a lot more flaw vs white ceiling?

I have painted black on ceiling joists on the garage before but don't know how drywall will show the imperfections.

Thanks,
TT

It has more to do with the gloss level of the paint than the color. The flatter the finish, the less blemishes show.

My home theater Projection set up the ceiling is flat black and I love it. As you know ambient light is what makes or breaks a projection theater. Ambient comes in two forms the first being light that enters the room or from lights in the room. The second is projected light that reflects off things in the room or the room itself back to the screen. Having a dark ceiling and walls will greatly improve your picture quality. Blacks and dark greys in a flat finish hide flaws in the drywall job.

My home theater Projection set up the ceiling is flat black and I love it. As you know ambient light is what makes or breaks a projection theater. Ambient comes in two forms the first being light that enters the room or from lights in the room. The second is projected light that reflects off things in the room or the room itself back to the screen. Having a dark ceiling and walls will greatly improve your picture quality. Blacks and dark greys in a flat finish hide flaws in the drywall job.

I was thinking black but and too afraid. Maybe a dark gray and almond walls (existing wall color). White crown molding semi gloss

In professional screening rooms, the walls are most often a 50% gray or a little darker. Where color correction is being performed, this is important as to not influence the color seen on the monitor.

There are lots of things to consider if striving for perfection. Things like the color temp of any task lighting and also the color temp of the projector light. Neutral grays are the paints you want to use but unfortunately neutral gray is not the best looking of colors or actually lack of colors to look at. You would think you would get neutral gray from mixing a titanium white base with a lamp black pigment but the result is always leaning to blue. We have come up with correction pigments to bring the gray back to perfect neutral for any given color temp white light. That’s important if you are painting your own screen and want something other than white. Gray screens are used to preserve contrast ratio. For surrounding walls and ceilings being totally neutral isn’t as important as the screen. Like I said I have a black ceiling nothing could be better than black from a viewing point of view. Walls also but most people don’t want a black bat cave. In that case any dark flat color is good. I would strongly avoid whites and glass surfaces in a front projection theater.

There are lots of things to consider if striving for perfection. Things like the color temp of any task lighting and also the color temp of the projector light. Neutral grays are the paints you want to use but unfortunately neutral gray is not the best looking of colors or actually lack of colors to look at. You would think you would get neutral gray from mixing a titanium white base with a lamp black pigment but the result is always leaning to blue. We have come up with correction pigments to bring the gray back to perfect neutral for any given color temp white light. That’s important if you are painting your own screen and want something other than white. Gray screens are used to preserve contrast ratio. For surrounding walls and ceilings being totally neutral isn’t as important as the screen. Like I said I have a black ceiling nothing could be better than black from a viewing point of view. Walls also but most people don’t want a black bat cave. In that case any dark flat color is good. I would strongly avoid whites and glass surfaces in a front projection theater.

I went with Behr paint called "Battleship gray" interior paint (flat).

http://www.homedepot.com/p/BEHR-Pre...hip-Gray-Flat-Interior-Paint-140001/205281838

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back