Home depot stud

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HighDesertHomeOwner

Reaction score
HD sells 2x4s for king studs labeled as 92 1/4 inches.

Is 92 1/4 too short?

King stud should be 92 5/8. Am I right?

Unless you are trying to match another stud in a existing wall, I would not worry about it.
Measure and cut your size as needed.
But yes, typical precut studs are 92-5/8,

I don't have to match any existing stud, but I may have to cut the OSB sheet to get it to fit.

92.25 + 4.5 = 92.75.

The heel cut of bird's month is usually greater than 0.75". For a gentle slope of 15% the heel is about 0.9 inches.

Leave a gap between the top and bottom sheet. It is required venting for the wall and insulation, actually you should drill holes in sheeting anywhere that dosn't have this space, like under the windows and such. This is most important if you are installing vapour barrier on the inside. Check you local codes or talk to local builders.

Just buy an 8' stud and cut it. Never add spacers to a wall stud!
And never leave a space at the top or bottom of a wall or drill holes under a widow as suggested.
You never want air to be blowing inside of a wall. It will be blowing in and leaking around the base boards and every outlet.

Joe: we can argue all day about venting for walls, that why I said to check codes but do you really install osb without a gap that the manufacture calls for?

Back