Foundation whithout footing

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garnut07

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum, thanks to let me in. Ok, i explain my problem, i bought a house 5 years ago. I discover there's no footing under the foundation and no french drain, therefore i have water infiltration from the bottom of the foundation. the foundation is directly on the clay. My question is, to build a footing do ineed to dig all around the house or just at certain places a the time? I'm afraid the foundation the foundation crush down if i dig all around at the same time. I hope you'll understand what i mean, i'm french so i manage with english but no 100% billigual.

A Good Idea to start would be to call in an Engineer . It will be worth the $$ to do it the right way. They will give you the only answer that will work for your house.
Then call a foundation company.

Let us know how you do.:)

An engineer will figure out where your point loads are and measure the strength of the soil and point out locations and size of the underpinning you need. You may find that you have footing pads in important places now and the foundation was bridged between the pads. You can check for this with a steel rod, push it down beside the foundation all around the house and see if you can find footing pads.

Ok i check this out, i plan to do it myself this summer. I let you know about this project.

Thank you very much for yours recommendations.

very unusual to not have a footing. it is more likely that your basement was dug lower and you are looking under what is a knee wall.

And doing this is not a DIY project. If there really is no footing then most likly that why it's failing because it was done by a DIY.

Latest posts

Back