DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Tools > favorite / least favorite brand of tools

Old 11-19-2014, 04:48 PM  
gottodo1

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have virtually the entire line of battery operated porter cable tools that came with the NiMH batteries (18V) and I love them. I treat them like crap and they keep on running. The batteries are not AMAZING as they're actually pretty poorly designed internally but they have lasted fairly well and have been fairly rugged. My last one fared better as I started caring for the battery better.

10/1/11: Bought the perfect house;
11/1/12: 10k & 200 hours
08/1/13: 30k & 400 hours into the perfect house
12/1/13: 35k & 500 hours
02/1/14: 37k & 550 hours
08/18/14: 38k & 650 hours it's starting to come together or maybe I'm coming apart

Last edited by gottodo1; 11-19-2014 at 05:14 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2014, 06:57 PM  
frodo

Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I use tools every day, so for me. in my opinion
corded tools. instead of batteries. this includes my 3/8 drill
I do own a "couple" of dewalt 18 volt impact/driver drills
saw zall

but for every day use, more power,no hassle, plug it in, pull a cord

Old Yesterday, 09:02 PM  
dthornton
inspector gadget

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolGuy View Post
Actually, I'd like to get some of the Milwaukee V28 tools, or the Bosch 36 volts, but I have to finish a couple more jobs first. But those are way more than most DIY homeowners need.
I have never been a "professional", and have always fallen into the "DIY" category. I will say, however, that as a DIY-er, if you buy top quality, you'll either never have to replace, or will only replace maybe once in your life. B&D used to be good quality. I bought a B&D circular saw and jigsaw back in 1980. I still have the circular saw (7 1/4") and it still works great. The jigsaw bit the dust a couple of years ago, and I got a new Bosch (love it. Made in Germany, not China). I also have a years - old 10" B&D table saw. It's still going strong, although I wish I had a 12". NEW B&D is crap. I got a B&D 18V cordless drill, and it bit the dust before a year was out. The repair place wouldn't even fix it - they tossed it in the trash and ordered me a new one from B&D (which I don't use - gave to my wife since she doesn't need one often). I bought a new DeWalt drill and sawzall, and absolutely love them. They are good and solid, and I don't think I'll ever have to buy new ones. Got a B&D 1/3 sheet sander, and after less than a year it wouldn't hold the paper anymore. Having said all that, I do buy some tools from Harbor Freight. The air tools seem to do fine if you use lots of oil! For the price, they may be the best bet for the occasional DIYer. As for hand (mechanic) tools, I like Snap-On or Mac. Their drawback (aside from price) is they are hard to find (and hard to exchange, if you break one). All the rest are made in China (yes, even Craftsman), and so I just don't think the quality is there. Well, that's MY opinion, which is worth exactly what you paid for it!

Old Yesterday, 09:33 PM  
CallMeVilla
Contractor

Liked 403 Times on 314 Posts
Likes Given: 168

My tools range from Milwaukee to Porter Cable, Skil, Bosch, Makita and Dewalt. No Harbor Freight tools except crummy clamps which were so cheap I could not resist. If they break, I will just toss them. Ryobi and B&D are not durable ... plus you get laughed off the job site if your show up with them!

My Makita 18v impact and drill are bullet proof. Use them every day. Strong, drives 3" screws forever, fast recharge, durable. However, if I need serious torque, I go to my Milwaukee and Porter Cable corded varieties ... Saws? Skill worm drive and Porter Cable. I did pickup up a used corded Hitachi sawzall for $35 and it has been a non-stop workhorse.

hammer.jpg  

Old Yesterday, 10:16 PM  
Chris
Guru of nothing
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 169 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I have a set of porter cable 18 volt tools that I have beat the crap out of for about four years now and are still kicking ***. They are slightly heavy but they work pretty good.

I have some dewalt stuff but it doesn't seem to last through the abuse I give it.

My longest lasting corded tools are makita. I have had the same angle grinder for 18 years now and it has outlasted a few dewalts, hitachi and porter cable grinders.

Old Today, 05:16 PM  
joecaption

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

That's like asking which is better Ford or Chevy.
Any of my Porta Cable, or Milwaukee Cable tools still work after being dragged under houses, dropped from ladders, used by people that where trying to get out of work by abusing the tool.
My Dewalt's all failed from bad switches, burned out brushes.

Quick Reply