wiring too short

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sisyphus

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm enlarging a interior doorway so I had to move a couple of switch boxes. now the wires are too short to go back into the boxes. will I have to install a junction box and run new wires, or can I just splice the wires outside the box to make them longer. thanks

You must have solid wire from A to B by code...and safety. Just when you think "It'll be fine...I spliced them together really well and taped the heck out of them"...the lights flicker and you smell smoke. Not safe.

What kind of access do you have to the wires? You can place the junction box anywhere that there is access...ie attic, basement ceiling...etc. Or pull new ones through and fix any holes.

thanks for the advice. Didn't want an exposed junction box in the wall, so I just ended up moving one of the gang boxes further up a couple of inches. and since the other box was for outside lights that I don't use, I just disconnected the wires and put a cover over it.

Back