Interior Door Frame Questions

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SarcasticWit

Reaction score
I have always thought that the doors in my house sounded, well, cheap or hollow when closed, and I think I have discovered why...

I pulled the trim of as I was painting, and I wanted to get rid of the builder style cheap trim around them...

I found that the spaces between the door frames/jambs, and the walls ranges from say an inch, to a space I could slide a 2x4 into...so my question is this...

In the pictures, the gap for the bathroom door is:
right: 3/4" left: 1/4"

for the bedroom door:
right: 1/2" left: 1-1/4"

I have tried posting pictures, but I cannot get the links to work...

Should I just fill these spaces in with some of that expandable foam, or should I find appropriate sized wood pieces to fill in these gaps?

I am almost positive that by doing either one of these, the doors will seem to be more firmly anchored, and therefore sound firmer/sturdier...

Any thoughts/hits or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Dave

Last edited:
Go ahead and try one it wont hurt anything. I would get some dense foam and cut pieces to stick in the gaps and maybe a little spray foam to hold them in. just spraying will make a big mess IMO.

I wouldn't expect much of an improvement by filling behind the trim. They sound "cheap or hollow"...because they are cheap and hollow. While changing them out to solid core doors would be the best solution, it may not be practical for your situation. Another consideration is to add thin stick on foam weather stripping on the door jambs. When the doors get shut, you won't have the direct wood to wood contact which gives you that cheap hollow sound.
Just make sure it's thin enough not to prevent the door from closing. Sometimes even a 2 inch piece in the latch side corners will suffice.

Are there shims at or near the points where the frame is nailed or screwed. The rough opening should be 2' bigger than a slab door when you add the fram there should only be 1/4 to 1/2 " extra to be shimmed. The installer could have put some filler wood in. Not sure if that would help the sound.

Back