Help: Aluminum window repair (Sash screw thread stripped)

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khufudude

Reaction score
Hello, I broke a window pane in my new house with old single hung aluminum casement windows . Discovered that I needed to replace the Channel Balances (block & tackle 1710) as well as Top sash cams b/c the plastic shoes and sash cams were broken.

Anyway, I took out the sash and disassembled it to help remove all glass, adhesive, aluminum trim "glazing" and plastic cams. Then, I (Mistake?) :( put the 4 sides of sash back together and used the same screws on top (but without the plastic cam. I stripped the 'threads' where screw connects sides to the top of sash (Pics are each side of the Top piece)

Any suggestions on what to do would be great. :) I could probably replace the top sash piece (or whole sash) but i havent had success finding window parts locally (Tampa, Fl) and Time is a factor (online order)

20151017_203205[1].jpg

20151017_203618[1].jpg

Appreciate all the advice. Just for closure:
I found my way to a local specialty hardware store and she (the manager) was able to match the top sash guides (cams), and plastic shoes for the block & tackles from my old broken/brittle ones. With the certainty now that they were all compatible and right fit (for my channels/sash), I re-assembled the sash (w/adhesive) and the 'guides' at the same time. I just used (1/4") longer screws (in the areas I was asking about/OP). With bit of silicone in the thread, All went well

Everything turned out better than expected. Improved my caulk gun skills :trophy: , was able to replace (cut/scribe/silicone) the old style aluminum trim (also found at same store) to keep matching the other (10) windows at my house. And I since replaced old b&t/guides in 2 other windows. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back