unused custom windows

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

janef

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to find a buyer for the custom windows my son bought for his house and then found he can't use? (the house is in a historic district & the windows don't meet specifications). We've tried posting on craigslist and elsewhere, but no luck.

You can give them to Habitat for Humanity (Restore is their version of Goodwill for building supplies). They won't pay you, but you get a tax deduction.

It could take awhile to sell on Craig's List, you may have some luck selling them individually.

HFH Reuse stores are a good bet for the tax donation. You could possibly try an Architectural Salvage Yard would give you some money but it will be pennies on the dollar. If you're in the VA, WV, KY, TN area Appalachian Service Project would take them. Rebuilding Together might be able to use them.

Does anyone know how to find a buyer for the custom windows my son bought for his house and then found he can't use? (the house is in a historic district & the windows don't meet specifications). We've tried posting on craigslist and elsewhere, but no luck.

The difficulty your going to encounter is that your son paid retail, the sizes will not be common, so your field of potential buyers will be severely limited, which makes donating them potentially an equal outcome when you consider the tax value as opposed to storage and marketing.

I bought several windows and doors used and new where people bought the wrong size off of CL. the trouble is size as mentioned above. They won’t sell fast and you won’t get much of your money back but eventually they will sell. You need to find someone like me that’s willing to take the time when adding a new window to frame an opening for a new window like it was a replacement. Maybe someone that always wanted a window in a garage or something. The closer to a normal size they are the quicker they will sell. If they are very big the likelihood of someone going second hand goes down. If they are not in your way post them every other week.

There may be a lot of people on a site like this interested but unless you were in the same city or very close no one will want to pay for shipping or drive to see them.

Thanks so much for these savvy replies! I'm very appreciative. If by some longshot there's a possible buyer within about 100 miles of Portland, Oregon, let me know. Here are specs: www.milgard.com/windows/essence-series
Four - double-hung windows 31 ¾ X 47 ¾
One - double-hung window 43 ¾ x 41 ¾
One - double-hung window 45 ½ x 35 ½
Two - double-hung windows 47 ¾ x 57 5/8
Two - picture windows 65 5/8 x 47 ¾
One - picture window 19 ½ x 23 ½
Two - casement windows 31 ¾ X 47 ¾

hopefully you listed all the width first, this is what you would read on plans
Four - double-hung windows 31 ¾ X 47 ¾ 2'8" x 4'0"
One - double-hung window 43 ¾ x 41 ¾ 3'8" x 3'6"
One - double-hung window 45 ½ x 35 ½ 3'10" x 3'0""
Two - double-hung windows 47 ¾ x 57 5/8 4'0" x 4'10"
Two - picture windows 65 5/8 x 47 ¾ 5'6" x 4'0"
One - picture window 19 ½ x 23 ½ 1'8" x 2'0"
Two - casement windows 31 ¾ X 47 ¾ 2'8" x 4'0"

Thank you for the information about revising how to present the dimensions. This is very helpful.

Thank you for the information about revising how to present the dimensions. This is very helpful.

When you advertise them, offer a trade for what have you. There are people that make a living trading and you never know what they offer and just wait for some one to have something you want.

Back