Garage door bottom weather seal

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p3arljam

Reaction score
The rubber seal on the bottom of my door needed replacing so i removed it. I bought a new and i could only slide it in maybe 12 inches before it was almost impossible to pull. I removed it and cleaned the track out and then spayed it with some soapy water and still no luck. I did bend it into a "U" shape like i have seen on videos and still no luck. My question is if i leave that piece off and i find the weather stripping that you glue to the floor will that be enough or do i still need the original seal attached to the bottom of the door? And by the way its a metal garage door and the track on the bottom is a hard plastic not metal and they used rivets to attach it which is another headache. Any ideas let me know.

Thanks

Yes i tried everything if i could replace the whole bottom piece with the track
i would buy they riveted in instead of screwing it in what a major pain.

Lots of time you can't push that stuff on you have to pull it as it gets thinner when stretched. Have a helper pull on other end at same time. Try astrolube you get at drug store. Don't ask me how I know that is the slipperiest stuff known to man.

I buy that stuff by the case in a last resort attempt i will try it.

Try running the blade of a screwdriver in the channel that the rubber slips into. You may dislodge a pebble or something, or you may find the end of a rivet that is in the way. Silly question but, have you tried slipping it on from the other end? Does it always get stuck in the same place?

Latest posts

Back