Chimney Repair: Advice Needed

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmphilli

Reaction score
Storm damage caused water to get into the house via damaged flashing. I had a contractor come out and he repaired the flashing, added a layer of all weather roof cement, and aluminum sealer. I have little doubt that water will come through the repair, however, the aluminum sealer and quality of application has left an eye-sore on my roof. His recommendation is to paint it all black, tape it off for straight lines. I'm looking for other options or recommendations here.

First time poster --- appreciate any advice. PS - I have no idea why the image I uploaded is turned sideways, so, please bear with the inconvenience there.

Thank You

image.jpg

Did he do the work during the winter months? Cold? Did he mention coming back in the spring and doing new flashings?

You did not hire a contractor, you hired a hack who has no earthly idea how to flash a chimney. Roof cement should NEVER be allow exposure to UV rays.

Here's a chimney we flashed recently, notice any difference?

:clap:

I like that shingled cricket...real class... ;)

You did not hire a contractor, you hired a hack who has no earthly idea how to flash a chimney. Roof cement should NEVER be allow exposure to UV rays. View attachment 10541

Here's a chimney we flashed recently, notice any difference?

Very nice work and your assessment of the repair is dead on.I would say they never even touched the old flashing just put a couple gallons of whatever was in the truck on top.

thank you all for the replies - I have learned a valuable lesson and have parted ways with this contractor. Sounds like some sand blasting and proper flashing repair is in our future this spring.

I'd suggest get a real roofer to just cover up the mess with counter flashing cut into the mortar joint above all the coatings. Use a dark bronze painted metal and it won't be as visible.

Back