Exterior French door repair help needed

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raredesign

Reaction score
Hi all. This is my first post.

Please reference photos:
http://imgur.com/a/JNy2F

I was completely taken advantage of by two supposed framers/installers.

The crooks ignored my measurements and cut back the header, destroyed interior drywall, installed the three way in the wrong spot, destroyed my prepainted molding, misaligned everything and tore off all my siding and never reinstalled. Then charged me $600 for the install. I was afraid that since they didn't work for a company they would come back and cause more trouble if I were to cause a scene.

I have since fixed the interior molding and wall, but need to repair the exterior molding and do not know how.

I used spackle to sculpt the molding lines on the interior but what do I do for exterior? Are there white plugs I can get and just drill the existing damaged pieces to make them smooth holes and then plug them? I could resculpt by hand but not sure what to use.

One of the photos shows a foam filler they used that left orange residue. I cut most out with a razor but not sure how to get rid of the stain.

Thank you for the help. It has been a tough year. I was also scammed by a contractor for backyard grading, drainage, fence, and patio, and lost a half down deposit, so I have learned many lessons this year and also learned how to do a lot of work myself. Not bad for a young blood cancer survivor.

There are several fillers designed for outdoor exposure. They often come in epoxy form (should I say 2 part form?) Once dry, they can be shaved, sanded, sculpted etc. Some folks even use Bondo (the car dent stuff).

There are several fillers designed for outdoor exposure. They often come in epoxy form (should I say 2 part form?) Once dry, they can be shaved, sanded, sculpted etc. Some folks even use Bondo (the car dent stuff).

Thank you. Is there a specific one that shrinks less? I used bondo to rebuild the bottom of an expensive octagon window, but it shrunk quite a bit.

You can apply it in layers, allowing the previous layer to dry before filling again. Or you can overfill, and then shave it down to the proper level. The one I've used (sorry, can't remember the name) suggests overfilling and then trimming the excess after it sets but before it totally hardens.

You can apply it in layers, allowing the previous layer to dry before filling again. Or you can overfill, and then shave it down to the proper level. The one I've used (sorry, can't remember the name) suggests overfilling and then trimming the excess after it sets but before it totally hardens.

Thank you so much! Sounds like I'll pick some up tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back