Ply Wood Flooring

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven’t except in sheds and for temporary floors until I had the money to cover them. I assume you are talking about DIY flooring using plywood and then Poly or something over it. If that’s a look you like I would say it would work great. If I was to do it I think I would rip the sheets so that the floor had more of a plank look to the seams. Maybe 6 strips per sheet or about 8” widths given a saw blade width loss per strip. You would have to figure how to attach it maybe screws and plugs you would need a sub floor below as you wouldn’t have T&G.

Fill us in a bit on the idea.

If you wanted to go for the plank look why not just run a shallow cut with a fine blade? No need to go full depth.

I've never seen it done, but I have seen people ask about it on boards like this one.

My grandfathers house has a few walls that are finished plywood, they look great. I think it can be done.

If you wanted to go for the plank look why not just run a shallow cut with a fine blade? No need to go full depth.

I've never seen it done, but I have seen people ask about it on boards like this one.

That would work but it would leave all the end joints in a line. I just like seeing the joints staggered.

In my day growing up our house had plywood floors not by choice but with my dad building it as he had money to spend we spent a couple years walking on the sub floor.

Just a few of the reasons not to do it.
Plywood is soft and will dent just from walking on it.
Only a thin ply on the surface that may wear through.
You would be far better off at least covering it with some laminate flooring for a far better look and far more wear ability.

Latest posts

Back