Pony wall with Peninsula Finishing

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aNYCdb

Reaction score
Quick question. I'm redoing a kitchen now where I'm going to have a peninsula that divides the kitchen from the living room. This peninusla is going to span a pony wall that 34.5" high, with the countertop on top of it (and the cabinets).

So my question is how should I finish this pony wall that will have the countertop on it. Should I finish it as if it will be visible with 1/2" drywall on top and corner bead on the edges or make the wall 1/2" taller and have the counter rest directly on the top plate?

Instead of a ponywall why not cover the back of the cabinets with a matching panel?

As far as countertop support, you do not want that on sheetrock. Pull that rock and replace it with wood. If you want to keep the sheetrock sides, hide the new wood edges with a piece of trim molding. If it's going to be a wide countertop, add some corbels (brackets) to support the ovehang.

Phil

Instead of a ponywall why not cover the back of the cabinets with a matching panel?

The wall is already there and if I took it out I would loose a place to run my pluming for the sink well as a place for electrical outlets in the other room. It would also leave a strip on the floor where the wall is where I would need to patch the tile (or have a 1" step down).

The wall is already there and if I took it out I would loose a place to run my pluming for the sink well as a place for electrical outlets in the other room. It would also leave a strip on the floor where the wall is where I would need to patch the tile (or have a 1" step down).

Pre-existing conditions often dictate what we do.

Pre-existing conditions often dictate what we do.

Yep. While anything can be done when given enough time and money, some things go a lot better leaving them in and designing around them.

One kitchen I worked on where the owner wanted all of a wall removed became a mind-changer when the wall was opened and every manner of electrical, plumbing, HVAC, and gas lines were discovered there. Everyone freaked till I said it was easy to move the wiring, then scale the removal back a couple feet, add cabinets to fill that space, and soldier on with the rest of the job. Not a perfect ending but the best one overall for everyone, and every prospective buyer loved the kitchen that way. House sold quickly with all the expected profits intact :)

I'm now known as the guy who turns foul-ups into features:p
Phil

Latest posts

Back