Plywood panels on 2nd story

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbm

Reaction score
edit: I just noticed I am not supposed to ask questions in "Intro" so I am posting this in the "Roof and Siding" section.
====================================

Hello everyone. I live in northern california.
My 2 story home has extensive water damage inside and outside around chimney enclosure. The buider cut a hole in the siding to make room for the gutter! Over a span of 20+ years, 2nd story gutter overflow went invisibly inside the wall and resulted in much damage. Luckily this area does not support the structural floor load of the house.

So I am repairing the wooden frame and the question pertains to the installation of the plywood side panels.

What is the best method to safely haul 4x4 panels up to the 2nd story for installation?

I am working with a 24' ladder and I have tied down and rigidized the ladder. But I am not feeling safe carrying any load with my hands while climbing the ladder.
Right now I am working alone, but if I need a helper I will get one.

Thanks for your help.
KenBM

IMG_0627s.JPG

Welcome Kent:
Man! He sure made a mess for you.
To raise the plywood panels to the second floor;
1. drive 2 16d nails for the panel to rest on when you get it up there.
2. tie a rope around the panel about 1/3 of the way down from the top.
3. use a timber hitch or other simple slip knot so you can get it loose quick.
4. beware of winds, they give large panels a mind of their own.
Alternately, you may want to slide the panel up the ladder ahead of you; just be ready to put a screw or nail in it when you get there.
Driving nails in a finished wall may crack sheet rock joints or knock pictures off the wall.
We are pulling for you. I know, you just wish we were on the rope now.
Glenn

Glenn, thanks for pointer.
This is an interesting method, I'll give it some thoughts.
I wouldn't try it if there any wind.
KenBM

Latest posts

Back