Rewiring European Desk Lamp With Button Switch

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acegary9

Reaction score
Hey there! I just got an old desk lamp from the Netherlands. It's 220v so I've decided to keep the socket but replace the internal wiring and cord with American wires. The current switch is on the cord itself and is inconvenient. I'd like the replace the bolt on the top of the hood with this button: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A1THAZDOWP300U

I would connect the socket to the button and the button to a new 2-prong extension cord. Is this possible/safe? I'm afraid of electrocution if the button is not right or fails at some point.

Here is a picture of the top of the lamp and the bolt I plan to replace with the switch: https://img0.etsystatic.com/052/0/10...02222_7i33.jpg

And here is the lamp itself: https://img0.etsystatic.com/060/1/10...01854_2fnv.jpg

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats not a bad idea. But my base is solid and the wiring doesn't go through it. If you take a look at the picture you'll see the cord goes right out of the first stem.

Returning to my original button. Would that work? Thanks.

Have you had it apart to see if there is room in there for it. I don't know the switch but it should hopefully come with wiring instruction.

Yes, there is room. And if there isn't its easy enough to drill a bit more.

The switch I'm looking at is 250v and 5 amps. Is that safe for a light switch?

If you put a push button on the top of the lamp ( I think that is what you are planning) then every time you go to press it, the lamp will dip. So you will find that you need to hold the lamp up while you turn it on/off. Not sure why you need to use "american wires"; I didn't know the wires cared as long as they aren't underrated. But if you are rewiring, why not just move the inline switch to a better (Nearer) spot. Or plug it in to a switched outlet. Or just attach it to a "Clapper" and call it a day.

One more suggestion: http://www.lampsplus.com/products/dimmers/type_table-top-dimmer/

:welcome: to the site.

Last edited:
It's great that I'm getting a lot of options to mull over, but it would just be really nice to know if, given the specs, if the button I chose will handle the job I want it to do. Thanks.

BTW, this is what I've read on euro cords vs US ones. It only makes sense to just replace the single wire instead of just the plug end.

Euro electricity is at higher voltage... 220v 50 hz or cycles per second, and US at 110-120volts, 60 hz. Think of voltage as pressure in a pipe analog. At higher pressure, a smaller pipe can carry the same volume of water, whose electrical equivalent is amps or amperes.. what converts into watts, then lumens of light.

Therefore, Euro electrical wiring is smaller for the same amount of lamplight. So anyone who just changed the plugs and bulbs and plugged it into the wall is likely running way too much power through the cord... and risks burning it up and the house with it.

Last edited:
The rating of your switch is fine for a desk lamp. The switch is SPDT single pole double throw, and can be wired to work like a SPST by using the center tap and one of the two outer taps. You will need a way to connect the wires to the switch. Faston type terminal or solder. Will a American bulb fit the European socket?

My question is what does that bolt connect to. I doubt it's decorative and probably is a mount for the socket.

The hot wire in a socket is the center post. A switch doesn’t care what side what wire is on as both sides are hot wires when it’s closed. Most likely the center tap is the SP and the outers are the DT, you can check that with a tester to be sure.

Thank you, Bud. Beachguy, the bolt does hold the socket in. I'm replacing the socket, though, as I discussed above, so I need to find another way to hold it in no matter what. I'm thinking plastic supports with hot glue so it's strong but not permanent. With the bulb I'm using I'm not worried about heat or weight.

Latest posts

Back