Garage Door Won't Close

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snookslayer

Reaction score
Lightning struck near my house recently which tripped several breakers and killed some electronics (irrigation system, computer, tv). The next morning I pushed the garage door button and the door went up - no problem. But when I pushed the button to close, nothing happens other than the garage light just blinks 10 times. So I eventually just manually closed the door.

I've since learned that "blinking 10 times" apparently means a problem with the garage door sensors.

Obviously my motor works fine (since it went up) and it seems unlikely that the problem is with the sensors themselves. The electrician I hired mentioned that lightning often destroys small transformers in the home like door bells, irrigation systems, and such. So now I wonder if the lightning might have killed the small transformer box which is plugged in next to the garage door motor and has two wires from the sensors running into it.?.

I'm really hoping that's it because it would be a cheap and easy fix, but when I search the internet for "broken garage door / lightning", the transformer is NEVER mentioned as a possible culprit.?.

Any thoughts on this? :confused:

Ya gotta admit it's weird that nobody on the internet mentions the transformer as being a possible issue for broken garage doors following a lightning strike.?. Instead I keep reading about broken "logic boards" inside the garage door as a result of lightning.

New transformers only cost about $20, so I'll try it and report back. I ain't feeling too confident, but we'll see.

Back