Re-sizing Gas Line?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CallMeVilla

Reaction score
Have a question about gas lines. We have a 1 1/2" line which used to support some pool equipment. At some time in the past, a 3/4" pipe was pulled off that line to fire a bar-b-que. It was buried below grade and covered in concrete, then stubbed back up through the concrete 18" away to hold the shutoff valve. That line is no longer needed.

However, the remodel requires a new line about 12 feet away, taking off from the stub up location, to support a new fire pit. That pit requires a 1" line.

If I resize the 3/4" line to 1", will I get the necessary gas pressure/flow? Performance is a priority!

OR, do I need to go all the way back to the 1 1/2" pipe and build a whole new run from there?

Will you do this by yourself? or there would be a professional help involve?

Well . . . my original post was a long time ago. We ended up demo-ing the concrete pad and taking our gas off the original larger pipe and stepping it down to 1" for the other locations. We used PE sweeps and gas line using a heat seal for the connections below ground. Above ground, we used standard fittings and sealants. New shut-off added so we can pull maintenance if needed in the future.

Everything tested leak-free. Concrete has been poured and deck is finished. Project is rolling along nicely. :D

Latest posts

Back