Master bathroom problems-leaking ceiling

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StephanieR

Reaction score
We moved into a new (to us) house a couple of months ago. The master bathroom has been having some issues.

1. After hot showers there is yellowish/brown water dripping down the walls and ceiling. I'm guessing the vent fan isn't doing a good job and its condensation?

2. We have a tile shower with a frameless glass door. The door has been fine. One night last week it starting hitting in the top corner. Nobody hit it or messed with it. It was fine in the morning when my kids showered. At night when I showered it was hitting.

3. This morning one of my kids was showering. After about 15 minutes water starting coming out of the air vent over my dining room. I ran upstairs and shut off the shower and it stopped. The air vent is not directly under the shower. It's actually under the master bedroom. The bathroom floor was dry but the bedroom carpet next to the bathroom was soaked.

Is it possible all of these issues are connected? We will call a plumber if we need to but were hoping this might be an easy fix. Any ideas on what the problem could be? I appreciate any insight.

So, you might have one big problem or three unrelated problems that together become one big problem.
If the door didn't close properly did water just run down a heat vent in the bathroom?
Can you see what moved to make the door close different than before.
Can you see anything in the tile or grout that would allow water thru.

Thank you for responding. All of our heat/AC comes from the ceiling. We live in AZ. So there's nothing down low that the water could have run into unless it's all happening behind the wall. I think that's what you're asking? As for the door, we checked all of the brackets and everything is nice and tight. We can push slightly on the top of the glass and push it out and then the door closes. Is it possible that the moisture from the ventilation problem could cause some swelling? I know with moisture wood can swell. Is it possible for the same thing to happen behind the shower tiles? I did notice in the bottom corner the grout does look like it may be cracked.

Yes water makes wood swell but water should not get anywhere close to the wood that would swell.

So there are some things you can do to check the plumbing.
You can buy adapters to fit a garden hose to the bathroom sink and the shower head
If the drain is leaking we can find that by running water straight down the drain with out letting get to tile or grout. Remember that it took some time to start leaking.
If you that doesn't show up as a leak, hook the hose to the shower head and run water straight down the drain again.
If that doesn't show up as a leak, it will be a problem with the tile.

Is the door hinge on the same wall as the shower head or controls?

Plastic shower pan?

Awesome I will give that a shot! Yes, the door hinge is on the same wall as the head and controls. The shower pan is all tile.

Awesome I will give that a shot! Yes, the door hinge is on the same wall as the head and controls. The shower pan is all tile.

I would suspect the plumbing between the controls and the shower head.
If that is on an inside wall you could cut a hole in the drywall on the other side of that wall for inspection.

Okay. We will do what you suggested and go from there. Thank you very much for the help!

Okay. We will do what you suggested and go from there. Thank you very much for the help!

If you are going shopping pick up some plastic drop sheets too. If there are no plumbing leaks you may want to isolate and test one tiled wall at a time.;)

Back