My Home Needs New Stairs / Steps

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homeralone

Reaction score
Hi, I’m trying to sell my home and need some help before I put it on the market. The previous owners put in a “circle driveway” but no steps to the front door. I put up a couple of cinder blocks and some walkway stones but women in heels find this a difficult walk. My real estate agent said I need to “fix this” before putting my home on the market. I’ve looked at Home Depot and Lowes and don’t see a solution there. Any ideas on what I can use as steps will be appreciated.

steps2.jpg

Welcome from the truly left coast;
Please step back and to either the left or right and post a photo from there which will show both distance and the differences in elevation you are attempting to bridge.

Perhaps you could use pressure treated wood and build yourself a small landing

I'd recommend buying 5 of the same blocks. Set one diagonal on the left, one diagonal on the right, and three across the face, fill with mud and you would have nice approach/step.

Take a close-up picture of the blocks used for the current wall and then take a trip down to the local stone yard and see if they can tell you the Mfr.; Or match them as closely as you can. If they are solid blocks, you can lay a few together to get a step. If they are hollow core, you can buy a limestone tread to lay over the top of them to make a nice step.
But any wall stone would be better than the CMUs that are there now.
For a path, you can choose any basic paver available at HD or Lowes or you can find a better selection at that same stone yard.

The driveway perimeter block are a split face CMU.

A & V Masonry Supply and ORCO Block are both in Riverside, but judging from the present conditions, our suggestions may be beyond some limits.

Quite frankly, I'd probably make myself a layout with boards and pour/smooth some steps. There are lots of videos online that show how to do it. Cement and concrete are pretty cheap, too.

I would try to find the people that did the driveway, and have them do a sidewalk and step to match the stamping, anything less will look, well less than.

Thanks All, great suggestions! I am considering all of them now. I appreciate the help.

I think that is not block, I think it is concrete with a form liner to get that look.
If you go for concrete we can help you set it up.

420.jpg

I'm late to the show but I think a nice formed concrete step will blend in fine.

Back