Why is there sand under our old built-in shelving unit?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spounder

Reaction score
I just removed a built-in floor-to-ceiling shelving unit (cabinet-style with doors) in the bathroom and found a uniform layer of sand on the floor inside the base of the unit. Is there any reason a carpenter would have put it there intentionally?

A little more background: This is an 800 sq ft plank-built home in a small town in western North Dakota. It was built in 1912 and moved to its current location on a full foundation in the 1950's (or maybe 40's). There seems to have been a major overhaul/remodel, probably including this shelving unit, sometime around the 70's.

The sand, about 1/4 to 1/2" deep, seems to have been put there intentionally during installation - there were wood shavings (from installation, I assume) on top of the sand. I thought it was sawdust at first, until it stayed behind when I vacuumed up the wood shavings.

I know, "Just vacuum it up and forget about it", right? I'm mostly just wondering if there's some old carpenter's trick involved, or some arcane but good reason to leave it there! Besides, I guess we enjoy trying to learn as much as we can in the process. Thanks, all!

Welcome to the site.
I can't think of any reason for the sand, some one maybe just swept the floor into there and it has settled flat over the years.

I once found an old pair of pants plastered into a wall. there is stuff in buildings that will drive you crazy trying to figure it out.

Make sure it’s not gold dust before you suck it out.
:)

My grandfather always hides notes and other odd stuff in his work. I used to install tile for a living and would write notes on the floors or walls before I set it.

There's not a lot of gold north of Mandan and before the flooded the valley for Garrison, there were a lot of areas next to the river for fossils, chockcherries and upland game.

IT may have been placed as mud for insulation.

Maybe they just used it to shim the base when they were installing it.

Latest posts

Back