Aquarium Centered on Support Column

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thumperstain

Reaction score
I've read countless threads on the internet, but I've been unable to find one identical to my situation. I've kept freshwater fish for about 10 years and I think I'm finally ready for the challenge of a saltwater setup. As part of my planning, I'm looking at making sure the site I've selected is suitable.

The tank I'm considering is 200g and 5.5 ft lg x 2 ft deep. As part of the setup, I'd have a roughly 50g sump, rocks and the usual gear. I would estimate the weight at 3000-3200lbs.

My house is 2 years old and a has a pier and beam foundation. The site for the aquarium is on an exterior, load-bearing wall but it runs parallel to the floor joists. On the positive side, it would be centered over an 18"x18" concrete support column.

I stuffed my 6'5" frame into the crawlspace and took some measurements / pictures. The lumber is 2"x10". It's tripled on the load bearing wall and doubled where it runs from one concrete column to another (perpendicular to the joists).

The joists span about 10' before meeting another strip of doubled wood / concrete columns. Each joist is 16" from another. At about 5', a short span of 2"x10" is placed perpendicular to each joist and connects it with the next one.

How much reinforcement would you recommend? I don't want to create a bombshelter, but I'd like to leave some margin for error. It'd be nice if this setup didn't require any, but I've got a feeling that the presence of a support column isn't enough.

Thanks for your time.

1st Pic - Support Column

2nd Pic - Lumber From Concrete Column to Column

3rd Pic - Picture of the Joists

mightycolumn.jpg

columntocolumn.jpg

joistsshot.jpg

Last edited:
All I'm seeing is red X's. You can upload images directly from your computer by attaching them to your post. Scroll down under the message box and look for "Manage Attachments".

...and welcome to House Repair Talk!

If I understand correctly, you want it to sit on one or two floor joists that are running between the outside wall and the concrete column. If that is right I would add a couple more full length joists under that area, If it lands on two I would sister them to what you have and replace center span blocking.

Latest posts

Back